1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ.com's own Ironman

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cadet, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Hopefully after the well-deserved beer and a good sleep he'll come detail the experience for us.

(hint, hint!)

2. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I hope he's still sleeping,

3. Herky_Jerky

Herky_Jerky Member

I thought it was going to be about one of our brethren who had some sort of consecutive days posting streak going or something -- a la Cal Ripken Jr.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Hmmmmmmm....

5. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Be sure to rehydrate.

6. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Alas, there was no celebratory beer. Instead, I settled for a chocolate shake and bacon cheddar potato wedges from Jack in the Box post-race. There were five of us in the Jack on Government Way in CdA: my parents and I and one other Ironman finisher and his friend (he was walking funny, that's how I could tell).

But wow! Thanks for the support here. I logged on the night before the race during a bout of non-sleep and was shocked to see the thread (thanks so much, Cadet!). Believe me, it crossed my mind during the race that some people were following my progress, which means I have a strong support group from within my profession — or I need to work on my mental focus.

Seriously, thanks for checking in and at some point this week I'll detail my experience for those who wish to hear or read of it.

7. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Wait a minute. I thought all sportswriters were fat-ass athletic wannabes? What gives?

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I'm so envious of anyone who can accomplish this....especially in a place as beautiful as Coeur d'Alene. I know it wasn't Serve's first time, the guy really knows his stuff. I wish I had the drive and determination to even dream of trying it.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

How many Ironmans have you done, Serve?

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I've decided to do another couple of sprint-division tris this summer. There are plenty to choose from.

The thing I hate most about them is the cost. As opposed to a $25 bike race or a $20 5K, a triathlon is usually a $75-100 registration fee and a $40 wetsuit rental plus the travel/lodging the day of/before the race.

Draft saved Draft deleted