1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ.com's own Ironman

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cadet, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

SIU is (obviously) still in the middle of his 112 mile bike ride. He cleared the 34-mile checkpoint in 1:47:24 averaging 18.99 MPH.

Pretty good, especially compared to my 17.4 MPH ride over 45 miles yesterday. Granted, I went up a 3,800 foot climb and then a 2,700 climb to finish the ride up.

I'll NEVER do an ironman. I'm simply not man enough for that -- and I do not have the time or ability to devote to that much training.

2. G-Spot

G-Spot Member

I've got my eye on IM Florida next year.

3. boots

boots New Member

He's doing something I WOULD NEVER do. Good Luck and you've got a drink coming from somebody somewhere.

4. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

SIU's bike times slowed a little -- as does everyone in the race -- over the final 75 miles. Still, he completed the 112 mile course in a little more than six hours and passed 87 competitors in the process to be among the top 30 percent or thereabouts) of all Ironman CDA participants.

Think about that, it's one thing to be top 30 percent in something and feel good about it. But SIU is top 30 percent among Ironman Triathletes in this race.

Only 26.2 miles on foot to go.

My buddy is cruising along, too. 112 miles on the bike in 6:05:36 for an average speed of 18.38 mph. He improved from 641 in the swim to 541 after the bike.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Winner just crossed the line at 08:32.

To put that into perspective, SIU and my training buddy probably still have 15-20 miles of running left to go.

Freaks of nature.

6. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I thought this thread was about some type of combination of covering a gamer, answering prep calls and putting together pages.

Anywho, keep it up, Serve.

7. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Victor Zyemtsev, whom I have had the pleasure of interviewing with the help of a Russian interpreter, won the event and was just 10 minutes shy of his own course record. Freaks of nature, indeed.

8. chazp

chazp Active Member

Hope all goes well Serve. More power to you. Make the rest of SJ proud. We already are that you entered.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Still no result posted for his run. Even if he is finished, do you realize how many hours he's been in motion today? Damn.

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I've noticed the times posted on the 'live tracker' are painfully late in getting posted -- like an hour or so late.

Still, I figure SIU was doing something today for about 12 hours that most of us at SportsJournalists.com would be maxed out after about 45 minutes or less.

Watching the live video earlier was inspirational, though. Seeing kids jump the fence to run the final 100 meters with mom or dad was pretty cool.

Makes me want to do another tri this summer, but never in my wildest dreams will I think doing Ironman is something I'd be ready for.

11. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Congrats to ServeItUp for finishing among the top 1,000 athletes at IronMan Coeur d'Alene.

Dude probably burned 7,500 calories today and lost 5-10 pounds.

Hope your post-race massage therapist was cute and the beverages cold and tasty. Sleep well, sleep long and wake up knowing you did it. Well done.

Remember, ibuprofen is your friend.

12. John

John Well-Known Member

ServeItUp, you've earned a round of applause. I've done three marathons and the idea of preceding each with a swim and a long ride is something I can't even fathom. Well done.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted