1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ.com's own Ironman

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cadet, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Tomorrow one of our own, ServeItUp, will be competing in the Coeur d'Alene Ironman.

The course is a 2.4-mile open water swim, a 112-mile bike ride followed by a full marathon, a 26.2-mile run.

Needless to say, he's been in training for months. To keep from outing ServeItUp I won't divulge his bib number, but I will post updates from the live coverage website.

Who wants to be the first to buy him a post-race Guinness?

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I think he's certifiably insane, as are all who compete in Ironmans, but I'll buy the Guinness.

Good luck, Serve!

3. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Best of luck to Serve, doing something I could never dream of doing - not even before I got fat (OK, fatter).

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I think Serve It Up should get free SportsJournalists.com subscriber service for life.

Mighty impressive.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

I thought for sure this would be about Sportschick. :D :D :D

6. sportschick

Why? When I have done anything remotely athletic?

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You were a softball catcher ... before your knee went all Shea Ralph on you.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Hey Serve, just pretend your old EE is chasing your booty and you'll win by a mile!

9. sportschick

I mean recently, duh!

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

SportsJournalists.com own Ironman? C'mon!!!! :D

11. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Serve and I have broken bread, swapped emails in the past and talked tri.

In the spirit of not outing him, I'll just say he did admirably in the swim portion of the event and is well into the bike ride with only about 6-7 hours worth of riding and running left before he collapses onto a massage table.

My training buddie is doing this race, too, and was No. 641 out of the water.

12. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I have a lot of respect for anybody who would even try an Ironman. I've run a bunch of marathons, but I can't imagine swimming that far and cycling that far and then ... running a marathon.

Draft saved Draft deleted