1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ.com's Greatest Musical Artists of All-Time List

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by rmanfredi, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Qualifications for compiling a list on an anonymous forum seem irrelevant. This is a nominally sports-journalism-related forum, but you don't know if I'm even qualified to have an opinion on the NBA All-Ugly Team.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I'd say each discussion has its positives. If we discuss favorites, we'll get more variety and a better understand of where posters are coming from in terms of influences and experiences and all that shit that creates musical taste. If we discuss greatness, there's a lot more room for debate. In my experience, debate tends to get unnecessarily heated and ugly around these parts.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I think there's be quite a bit of diversity in a list of 20 greatest.
    Favorites tells you something about the person's taste, but that just doesn't seem as interesting.

Anyway, it's not my thread.

5. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

That's just it. They're not my favorite artists. I've never cared for U2, Dylan, Nirvana and to a lesser extent Johnson.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Oh, you were using the greatness barometer. Curious, because I don't listen to country: I had always heard Hank Williams was the most influential artist in country while Johnny Cash was far less emulated because he was so unique.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

as a metal head who was forced to listen to a decent amount of country because of where i grew up: i think cash kicked down way more doors concerning music today than williams ever did.

i own probably 500+ cds, and of those, maybe there are three country artists in the bunch. i own roughly a dozen cash cds. the man made good music that stood up over time. not sure i can say that about HW.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Hank Williams = Beatles. Johnny Cash = Rolling Stones.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

wow, dude. did we just find common ground?

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Maybe not common ground, but you're at least sharing a seat on the short bus.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

ha. suck it, three bags.

Draft saved Draft deleted