1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ.com's Greatest Musical Artists of All-Time List

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by rmanfredi, Jul 13, 2012.

1. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Which I think would kind of be the fun of this - to take all of our musical interests and compile them.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Have everyone submit their Top 20 list of "Recording Entities" -- bands, solo artists, etc. -- in English-language popular music since the begining of the consumer-music era (roughly 1920).

I would guess probably 10 will be near-consensus. After that things will go crazy.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Well, trying to take an objective look at greatness without regard to my personal taste, I'd say:

1. Elvis
    2. Frank Sinatra
    3. Louis Armstrong

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

So if I throw Nickleback on my list, will my entire list be thrown out? [/bluefont]

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This is a quickie, off-the-top-of-my-head list that basically put my own personal taste through filter in which personal favorites like Uncle Tupelo, Chris Isaak, the Jayhawks, and the Black Crowes, though favorites of mine, don't make it because they simply don't have the historical heft. I'm embarrassed about the lack of black and female artists, but it is what it is.

1. The Beatles
    2. The Rolling Stones
    3. Bob Dylan
    4. Elvis Presley
    5. Buddy Holly
    6. Bruce Springsteen and the E. Street Band
    7. Jimi Hendrix
    8. Neil Young
    9. Led Zeppelin
    10. AC/DC
    11. Nirvana
    12. Lynyrd Skynyrd
    13. Elton John
    14. Eminem
    15. U2
    16. R.E.M.
    17. The Who
    18. Stevie Ray Vaughn
    19. The Allman Brothers Band
    20. The Grateful Dead

Close HM: Prince; Pearl Jam; Janis Joplin; Dave Grohl/Foo Fighters; Madonna; Tupac; Dr. Dre; Marvin Gaye; Jack White/The White Stripes; The Clash; The Ramones; Metallica; Wilco; Kanye West; The Byrds; Michael Jackson/The Jackson Five; The Temptations; The Supremes; The Beastie Boys.

6. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

based on a moderate amount of thought and some (but not much) research. . . .

1. Louis Armstrong
    2. The Beattles
    3. Duke Ellington
    4. U2
    5. Bruce
    6. The Rolling Stones
    7. Elvis Pressley
    8. Elvis Costello
    9. Eminem
    10. BB King
    11. Jack White
    12. Janis Joplin
    13. Billie Holiday
    14. Tom Petty
    15. Roy Orbison
    16. Dr. Dre
    17. Madonna
    18. Metallica
    19. Dylan
    20. Woody Guthrie

7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think the matter of greatest vs. favorite has to be decided and the labels have to be clear.

My top-10 greatest musical acts list would include the Rolling Stones and Elvis Presley. My top-10 favorite musical acts list would include Guns N' Roses and Weezer. And let's not even get into rap.

There'd be overlap, of course. Bruce Springsteen and Prince would be on both lists. The Beatles and Led Zeppelin and The Who and Stevie Wonder would at least be contenders.

But the differentiation is important. We're mostly journalists and former journalists, and part of that job, in theory if not in practice, is removing personal connection from work. When we're asked by a boss to list out the greatest football players in the history of the college we cover, we try not to factor in the feeling we had seeing that one magical run by that running back who tore up his knee as a sophomore and never ran like that again.

I'd like to think most of us can create our own sets of pseudo-objective standards to hold an artist against, to grade through, in forming lists about greatness. But maybe the favorite artists list would be more interesting, more personal.

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

I've tried as much as possible to keep my personal tastes out of this list. I'm looking for timeless artists whose influence on popular music was decisive.

1. The Beatles
    2. Elvis Presley
    3. Frank Sinatra
    4. Louis Armstrong
    5. Ray Charles
    6. B.B. King
    7. The Rolling Stones
    8. Buddy Holly
    9. Chuck Berry
    10. Bob Dylan
    11. Jimi Hendrix
    12. Woody Guthrie
    13. The Who
    14. Bruce Springsteen
    15. Aretha Franklin
    16. Stevie Wonder
    17. John Coltrane
    18. The Byrds
    19. Nirvana
    20. Robert Johnson

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I decided to do my list a little different. If we're talking greatest, I interpret that as most influential, outside of my own interests.

For example, I may love the Rolling Stones, but you can trace the Rolling Stones back to artists/bands of greater influence on other bands, even if I think the Stones carved a niche all their own.

From 1920, the most influential on popular music. These were the artists and bands that created or refined their own form of music and launched a 1,000 imitators:

1. The Beatles
    2. Duke Ellington
    3. Hank Williams
    4. Robert Johnson
    5. Woody Guthrie
    6. Chuck Berry
    7. Louis Armstrong
    8. Elvis Presley
    9. The Carter Family
    10. Bob Dylan
    11. Miles Davis
    12. Smokey Robinson -- other Motown artists, like Marvin Gaye, might be more my taste, but Robinson basically invented the Motown sound.
    13. Michael Jackson -- for better or worse, he's probably the dominant well-spring of the pop sound of the last 30 years
    13. Miles Davis
    14. Jimi Hendrix
    15. George Clinton
    16. Dr. Dre
    17. Public Enemy
    18. Metallica
    19. The Clash
    20. Frank Sinatra

Honorable mention (in no order): Bill Monroe, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Waylon Jennings, Kraftwerk, Buddy Holly, Glenn Miller, Benny Goodman, Dizzy Gillespie, Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Led Zeppelin, Sly Stone, Velvet Underground, Nirvana and probably dozens of others I missed.

10. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Keep giving me some feedback on if you'd rather see a "greatest" or "favorite" artist list. I've waffled on it several times and I'd really want to do this right and in a way that you guys get something fun out of it.

11. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I think my list of "greatest" would look a lot like Bubbler's. I'd delete a few and among my replacements would be Sam Cooke, Eric Clapton, Bob Marley, Grand Master Flash, Patsy Cline

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Grand Master Flash and Patsy Cline??

Draft saved Draft deleted