1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ.commers: What Would You Do?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, May 5, 2008.

1. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Small Claims Court

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Or look at the $2K as a "Get out of my life" payment.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

When you say family member.....sister? Third cousin? Mother's second husband's ex-daughter-in-law?

Sister, you have to work it out. Beyond that, decide after you see how she responds to your request.

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Thanks, guys. For the record, it's my sister. I guess I just have to shelve the histrionics and find out just what's going on. That's going to be tough since I just found out thru my other sister that a week after she got my 2K, she tried to borrow another $1,200 from our fixed-income parents. Now, I'm also half-worried, wondering where the money's really going. It's not like she's a junkie -- I hope! -- she's a fairly high ranking faculty member at a college. I wish I could have a discussion face-to-face. I just need to get to the bottom of it all.

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

If it's my college, let me know and I'll go take care of it for you.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Thanks Vinnie.

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear it's your sister...I feel your pain. My brother is world-class irresponsible...sweet guy, bad luck, can't make a good decision to save his own life (literally). Some years ago, I loaned him a substantial chuck of money--five figures--so he could get divorced from his cheating drunken wife and get custody of the kids. In hindsight--lesson to us all--I should have had the attorney bill me directly, but no, I wrote my brother a check.

A month later, he got back together with her, took the kids to DisneyWorld, bought a used Mercedes, and quit his job to paint pictures of birds. When I asked about repayment of the loan, he said he was under the impression it was a gift, and why was I not happy that his marriage was saved.

I was lambasted by my delightful family for expecting repayment. Apparently, if you work really hard and make good money, your deadbeat siblings are entitled to steal from you.

Anyone here who has been occasionally forced to hear about my family might notice that I have never mentioned this brother in my sagas. Not an oversight.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Probably pissed that you didn't "give" him enough for a new Mercedes.
    Money is indeed the root of much evil.

9. 21

21 Well-Known Member

That, and no good deed goes unpunished.

The sad part is, if he had tried to repay me, I would have told him no rush, to keep it until life was working better. I didn't need the money right then, he did....it was his sense of entitlement that crushed me.

10. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Killick,

Forgive the debt, forgive your sister for not paying, and find out what's going on. The money seems immaterial compared to her asking for it from numerous sources. That suggests you're not the first or the last person in the loan chain; you may be one of four or five.

99% of the time, people know they're putting their relationship at jeopardy by asking for more than, say, $100. So your sister knew she was doing something stupid. The easiest way to release the anger is to forgive the debt and get the bottom of her money troubles.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Relative: "Hey can I borrow-"
    Me: "OUT!"
    Relative: "But it's for-"
    Relative: "B-"

Learned my lesson damn near 20 years ago.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

If you'd like to trade sisters, please let me know.
    Two grand would be an easy trade for my knucklehead of a sister and her tin-foil hat hubby

Draft saved Draft deleted