1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ.commers: What Would You Do?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Killick, May 5, 2008.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Okay, I'm pissed and not trusting my instincts so let me put this to you, friends: How would you deal with a family member in arrears of a significant loan? Background: Back in March, I begrudgingly loaned two grand to a family member because she told me she needed to get some emergency dental work done. The deal: She had to pay for the work up front, then would be reimbursed by her employer through a medical spending account. She'd repay me when the checks came in. Now, a month and a half later, I still haven't seen a cent. First, she had car repairs come up. Of course, she didn't call and ask if she could put off paying me back, I had to hear that excuse later. Then, her glasses broke -- again, I hear an excuse after the fact. A week and a half ago, she promises me she's going to mail a check. Not having gotten it yet, I call for a reason and get no reply to voicemails. Today, I get an email in which she tells me that she can repay PART of it at the end of May, after she gets back from a long-planned business trip to Africa. Her explanation is that she has to have a medical account for the trip that she only learned about. I've been trying to be cool, even though I don't believe a word from her. But, as I'm between jobs and really can't write off two large, am close to snapping off a threat-o-gram email that the end of May is fine, but it had better be repayment in full.
    Is that really out of line? I'm so pissed right now, I don't trust myself not to go nuclear. Need reassurance that I'm not being an asshole.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Kiss the $2K goodbye.

You ain't never going to see that cash.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I agree with hockeybeat.

Sounds like she's chronic with this stuff. People like that I wouldn't loan a penny to. Even if they're related.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If I had loaned $2,000 to a family member, I would not have expected to see it again.

Keep your emails, though, in case you decide to sue.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Call her out, tell her she's full of shit and you aren't buying any of it.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Tell her a) you're disappointed that she doesn't respect you enough to be straight and responsible with you, b) your own financial situation doesn't allow you to kiss off 2K, c) you expect her to set up a payment plan and follow it.

Don't let up.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

You have Vinnie the Leg Breaker on speed dial?

If you really want the money - and I would - sue and garnish.

8. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

Sounds like this is an out-of-town relative. Is there another relative nearby you can count on to make a visit. It's always tougher to tell lies face-to-face, and hearing in person that, "Killick is in a tough spot and really needs that money" might speed up the process.

All in all, I'd guess you'd be doing well to get half the money back.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Best advice on this thread, IMO. Besides putting Vinnie the Leg Breaker on speed dial.

10. copperpot

copperpot Well-Known Member

Agreed, especially with the "don't let up" part ... bug her all the time. Hopefully she'll get you the money just to get you off her back.

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Decide what you want more -- your $2K or her friendship. Probably won't get both.

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like he doesn't have one as it is, so go for the money.
    Call her hourly.

Draft saved Draft deleted