1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ.com Style Guide!!! (running thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Jul 11, 2006.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Watch out, shottie has a ton of road signs and ain't afraid to use them. Anyhoo...

Isn't exactly true. My first year or so, I had some rough patches with Chris L. and Flaghokie (man, where did that Great Gazoo go, anyway?), and even with 21 for a bit.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

printdusting - Launching threads that you know will wind up being locked. See also Deeper_Background.

3. dooley_womack1

To the mods' credit, the Deeper Backgroud ones, don't get locked, they get vaporized.

4. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Some really good stuff back there.

5. dooley_womack1

Not many actual tombstones, but a few who are virtually tombstones tho not nuked.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You can Banks on that....

7. dooley_womack1

Another one worth unearthing (mainly because I've been trying to recall her name for the past week)

8. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

SportsJournalists.com Welcome Guide for Budding Journalists

1) New members in their first job or still trying to land one shall proclaim how superior their background is to the grizzled veterans of SportsJournalists.com. Such boasting must include college(s) attended, internships completed, and how you shook hands with Mitch Albom, Rick Reilly or Jason Whitlock.

2) New members shall discuss why covering prep sports is beneath them and anything less than a professional or major college beat is a slap in the face.

3) New members must specify how hard they work compared to others at their paper, including boasting of working off the clock for free.

4) New members should take turns discussing every job opening in the country and shall enumerate the conversations they've had with the Sports Editor, and also discuss why the reporter leaving the paper quit and where he/she is going.

5) New members shall promote their awards in at least every other post.

6) New members shall discuss how hard it is working with parents, even if they have never spoken to or taken a call from a parent in their career.

7) New members shall discuss why their use of Twitter and Facebook makes them superior, or discuss why their avoidance of such sites makes them superior.

8 ) New members shall immediately get into a war on the first thread they post to.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Pin that atop the jobs board. Like, yesterday.

10. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Well done, Stitch.

BTW, did you know I won the "Creative Use of White Space" award from the Upper Peninsula Sportswriters and Paste-Up Boarders Association in 1997?

Or was that the "Creative Use of White Sauce" award?

Damn pasty gravy ...

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And I thought this was going to be about whether we had style ... not the thread to be reading when one had planned a night of drinking.

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

9) Fetch us all a beer, newbie!

Draft saved Draft deleted