1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ.com Style Guide!!! (running thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Never look a gift yak in the bunghole.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Flipper the Dolphin Buck's girlfriend

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't think Flipper's gender has ever been revealed to the board.
    Let's stick with concubine.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Wow, you learn something new every day. I always thought those anon 3:17 were some sort of nouveau biblical reference, like early christians drawing the fish symbol in the dirt or something ...

pickle juice: board member who asked for the keys to the kingdom by inquiring about how one would jump from selling steak knives to cover the Miami Dolphins. Was roundly excoriated in a thread that was too long for its own good and taken way too seriously by no small number of posters.

Shawn Green's goodies: a reference to a column in a suburban LA paper by a non-sports writer who got credentials to a Dodgers game and went into the locker room. Then wrote about what she saw. Everything she saw.

good enough to work for the Plain Dealer: reference to a sports writer at a small paper in Ohio who kept applying to work at the Cleveland Plain Dealer and never got an interview. He concluded that he was being discriminated against and he filed a lawsuit.

vats of dong: do you really need a definition here?

EDITed so IJAG won't take me out back for a whuppin'

5. HeadFirst

HeadFirst Member

Anyone remember the old chestnut, 'My JOB is my LIFE!' ?

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Ahem....DONG. Not dung.

7. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Release the hounds! A signal to the board's less tactful crowd -- wait, isn't that everyone? -- that someone has posted somethnig controversial and/or stupid and it's time to take your best shot.

Thanks for checking in (insert name here): Standard retort when someone posts glowing praise for a colleague.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Often with name of said colleague inserted

9. Overrated

Overrated Guest

That's my favorite recurring theme.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Oh, novvie. :D

11. Jim Tom Pinch

Jim Tom Pinch Active Member

Krystal Grow -- SJ's favorite intern candidate

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Hi Sandy! -- The only psycho member ever permanently banned from the board, Sandy was one of the original characters on the old old board (see Board, Old Old) and the old board (see Board, Old).  

Positive that one of the other posters--not named here out of sheer sympathy and respect--was stalking his posts, flaming him under different screen names each time Sandy posted, he began tracking every moment this poor guy was on the board, comparing langauge patterns, post times, etc. Unfortunately, the innocent victim posted under his own name, making it easy for Sandy to make very personal attacks, on and off the board.

His paranoia was so nutty that other posters taunted him by posting 'Hi Sandy!' every time he went off on his alleged stalker(s).

Sandy reappeared on this board without much commotion, until he decided that Webby was actually responsible for more than 20 of the boards more vocal characters, including but not limited to 21, Double Down, Clubber Slang, and many others.  After threatening Our Webby in various forms, he was banned, thank God.  He later wrote the nasty and wildly inaccurate  SJ Wikipedia entry that appeared here.

Bye, Sandy.

Draft saved Draft deleted