1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ.com Style Guide!!! (running thread)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Jul 11, 2006.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I GET TO SAY IT!  ME! NO ONE ELSE!!

HI SANDY!

(Please please let me write the Hi Sandy entry...in a little while...)

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Wonderbat SportsJournalists.com's bat of choice when they play softball. Spokesperson Stephanie registered one night to spam us about this bat. Several threads were started about various aspects of this person. I don't think any of the threads lasted the night.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

... which you alone have the possibility of reaching. ;D

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

You assclowns forgot a staple insult. It's fairly self-explanitory.

Splooge: See: Affleck, Ben; Cartman, Eric and right hand.

Asshat: Much like assclown.

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I don't think bandwagon_boy took credit for the Great Crash of '03, but he was around when it happened.  We'd also been discovered by people from the ACC fan boards, who'd been around stirring up shit.  So the ACC Fan Boards were also suspected.

Briefly:  The board crashed, but it wasn't like a regular crash.  It came back seconds later... And all the threads were gone.  Also, a few people had their usernames wiped out.  Among them:  Armchair_QB and 21.  Nobody could ever draw a connection.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure bandwagon_boy played up his alleged role. Probably just concidence that he and the ACC gang were around at about the same time.

--A board axiom regarding crashes: Don't let 21 run the site. Moddy jokingly "handed her the keys" once. A few hours later, the board was gone for two weeks.

7. Lugnuts

It was probably just coincidence that bandwagon_boy was around, too.  I don't think anybody actually blamed either entitiy -- it was just part of the comedy.

"I'm gonna go over to the ACC Fan Boards and kick some ASS !!!!!!"  etc. etc.  And what was funny is that they were having a big discussion over there about our crash and making fun of us.  :D

It became dueling online communities.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Another time Jonathan the soccer fan and I were hanging around New York when we ran into Ronnie Wood and Dave Bowie, who had a score of amyl nitrate.
    Needless to say, it got crazy.
    We hopped in a cab to go see if we could find Lizza at home.
    Anyway, Bowie's going on and on about being hungry, so we pull over at Papaya King. But when Bowie gets out, the rest of us take off in the cab with all the drugs.
    We still laugh about it whenever we get together.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Board pariahs People in all walks of life who are reviled by a majority of the active sj membership. Among them:
    --Barry Bonds
    --Ray Lewis
    --Pete Rose
    --Roger Clemens
    --Alex Rodriguez
    --Peyton Manning
    --President Bush
    --The head of JRC
    --Chris Berman
    --Stuart Scott
    --Hawk Harrelson
    --Mitch Albom
    --Jay Mariotti

Defend these folks at your peril.

Apocryphal stories Tall tales that make us laugh, tho they are almost certainly not true. Buck is fond of them.

10. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Awesome. I've been wondering about that. Only 230 or so most posts until I can put SportsJournalists.com Junior Member on my resume.

11. Lugnuts

Jonathan the foreign soccer fan - still one of the greatest threads ever. (My personal favorite is Anti-Shoutouts.)

Then there was the time the board crashed for weeks and, desperate, we took over another site that 21 found.

The name of the site was J.J.'s Place, and you'll sometimes see a passing reference to it. It was an offshoot of a poetry site. J.J. himself was really surprised when it had sat virtually un-hit for 2 years, then suddenly, the site had about 200 new users. With no moderators, the site was-- you guessed it-- shut down, and eventually J.J. came over here to post a greeting once our site was back up. He cordially invited us to visit the actual poetry section of his site anytime.

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

[​IMG]

Pancake Bunny: Used when thread and/or post makes little sense. Often done for shits and giggles when said poster has "an idea of what you're talking about." Random pets (example: Murphy the Dog) may take the place of Pancake Bunny if proficent at Adobe Photoshop.

Draft saved Draft deleted