1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ.com ratings going down?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, but how is it a response to what I said?

Even if it bugs him, I'm a member here, thus the "we".

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Lots of candidates for next White House press secretary here.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Those 2007 stats are misleading.

80 percent of those thread titles include some combination of "SuperGenius YouTube Pull Chicks Bodybuilding 'Roids Party Villa Army." And 90 percent of the responses are some variation of "Nobody cares about YOU!!!" "Leave the Board!!!" "FRAUD!!!!!" or "Screw you! I'm done!" with the other 10 percent saying "Damn, this weirdo makes me laugh."

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'm one of the folks who briefly went over to The Other Board and was there along with being here. I soon nuked over there and stayed here.

I'm not going to go somewhere where I feel I'd be ostracized.

Are there things about this place that still piss me off? Absolutely. But all in all, this is the place where I want to be, even as we've lost some of the people who gave this place much of its charm.

5. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Bubbler has the situation pegged exactly right, and approaches things just as I do -- at both sites, with the same user name at each place.

I do what I want. It has nothing to do with anybody else, and it never has. I try to contribute well -- or else, not at all -- to the threads that interest me at both sites.

That's really all there is to it.

6. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Provably and demonstrably

7. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Also, BYH didn't reappear until mid-May.

8. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

OK, I'll weigh in ...

As someone who's basically been a luddite and ignorant of technology his whole life, I stumbled upon this site in early 2009 while searching for info online about Lee Enterprises' bankruptcy problems (I know quite a few people who work/worked for Lee papers).

To my surprise, this site not only was a place to bitch/commiserate over the state of the newspaper world, but also a site to catch up on sports news, pop culture and vital issues such as which live album is the best of all time.

I see this site as similar to the conversations you might have after deadline in a newsroom, complete with all the b.s, exaggeration and laughs those conversations include.

The politics board? I used to scan over those topics, but I'm not going to convince someone to change their mind about, say, abortion or the Green Party on a message board. And neither are you.

Obviously, I haven't been here from the beginning, but in the past 18 months, SportsJournalists.com has been a fun place to visit for a laugh, information about other people/places in media, and the latest woes of the Cubs' bullpen.

Keep up the good work, moderators.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Bubbler, I've never closed the door on most people there. Most would be welcome back if those choose to come back. A small handful would not. I'm pretty sure Webby and I would be on the same page on the names.
    But they may not see a need and that's fine. They seem happy there. And, as you noted, I was assured the outing problem had been halted and I've not been given a reason to doubt that. People here need to get over that.
    But, yeah, there does remain something of an obsession. I got a TWITTER message from a former member about a topic on here. Really? Just come on and post.

The one thing that really bothered me for a while was some former members nuking here and then griping when someone signed up for their former names. Hey, you NUKED. You gave up that name. I've advised a couple who wanted to leave to just leave. It didn't cost them anything to leave their name here alone, no one could sign up for it and it was there when you come back. When. Not if.

Short message - it's a big ol' Web. Go where you want to go and be happy.

10. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Actually, that month had the Imus story and the Va Tech massacre going, which both generated lots and lots of posts.

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

A few observations from a longtimer, about the State of SJ:

--Massive running threads have completely wrecked the ability to scan for hot/current topics....everything is hidden somewhere. Loved when you could glance at the board for newsy headlines, see what others thought, weigh in, move on. More running threads = fewer threads overall, if you're looking at the stat page. It's a message board...be bold, start a thread.

--The removal of not only the politics board but any thread related to politics (a topic that dominates much of our real lives) has been a real loss to the board, just my opinion, no disrespect intended to the brass. I understand it, I just don't enjoy it. I like hearing what others here think about things, even when I disagree, a lot.

--Significant decline of people employed in the journalism industry...and many of those still employed aren't feeling to good about it right now.

--Merciful decline in 'postpadding' threads, along with mysterious disappearance of various of posters who contributed nothing about sports or journalism, ever.

But at the end of the day, it's a message board. Not a country club, a fraternity, a union...it's not really even a bar, as we like to pretend. It's a message board. You get what you get.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I find it amusing that this thread was started by someone with multiple user names who hit and ran.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.