1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ.com ratings going down?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

The beer is much colder here. And there's also a lovely selection of cheeses on the members' board.

2. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Fuck!

Always have to get the last word......

Now on a serious note, I hate typing this next phrase but hell, even a blind squirrell finds an acorn I suppose.....

Ragu is 100 percent correct that certain people, mostly those who left, have a hard time seperating reality from a fucking message board, which is supposed to be a diversion and where many come just to blow off some steam.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Is pure number of posts really the statistic to look at?

Inane, nonsense posts don't add much. How many mashed potato jokes do you want to read?

We always have something like 4 times as many users logged on.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Some rather intriguing numbers from the Stats page

April 2007 1474 topics 64,148 posts
    Jan 2010 608 topics 29,843 posts
    May 2010 432 topics 16,744 posts

I do think the decline in the newspaper industry in general has had a negative impact on the site, although there's still a pretty steady stream on new members every month. Some people have probably left the biz and left the site, although I don't know why you have to be in the biz to find the site useful :D

The same goes for me here. And I guess as the first member to sign up, I'll be last to leave. Guess maybe I'll get to deliver the BJ Honeycutt Goodbye in Rocks message.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

There are a lot fewer threads like "so-and-so is getting drunk tonight, come along for the ride!" and other threads where a few posters go back and forth with the same inside-joke stuff or whatnot. Some of those folks left, some didn't.

I think that this place is used a lot more as a check-in-once-a-day-to-see-what's-up other than an all-day chatapalooza. Nothing wrong with that. More businesslike and maybe more lame, but what'cha gonna do?

6. Law_Student

Law_Student New Member

We? You got a turd in your pocket?

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't even know what that means.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Also no more politics. Cut the thread count, post count and horseshit count considerably. We closed a high-traffic board. Not without reason

9. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Not to add more stuff, but this site was a great help to me when I switched from politics to sports. I didn't work in a classic newsroom and spent most of my time on the road for events. The outlet was great for me when waiting for my eds to read my stories on deadline. It helped me learn a lot about covering games (and how much you sports guys, though we politics guys were lazy :)

Now that I have left the biz, I still enjoy coming on here for the latest sports stories. This is as close as I get to an RSS feed.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

It means someone shit in your pocket

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Perhaps some of the decline can be chalked up to the time of the year. People spending time outdoors and taking vacations.

But, honestly, I've not noticed that big of a reduction in posts.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

A few months ago, Double Down posted this ...

I was one of the more militant anti-TBD (The SportsDesk is the name of the site) from the time they launched their permanent site, but he was right, and that post hit me like a splash of cold water.

I realized that choosing sides between message boards is, well, kind of sad. I missed a lot of people there, so I decided to put my money where my mouth is and join that site too in the interest of re-visiting friends and to foster the notion that both sites can co-exist.

I've kept an open mind and found "the other site" to be just fine. In fact, there are aspects of it that have exceeded SJ. The existence of politics is one and some threads that were once must-reads here are must-reads there now. Hard truth though it is, there are plenty of people who defected from here who were valuable contributors and they remain valuable contributors there.

But unlike some who have gone over to TBD, I still find this place to be just fine too. Maybe its because I've never had some of the personal issues some over there have had, maybe its because I've always considered the "assholes" to be part of the charm. I enjoy sparring with them. And who's to say that I'm not one of the "assholes" on a given day? Who's to say that any of us haven't been that asshole?

SJ is still superior in many ways too -- the Journalism board is far superior here. So is the Jobs board. So are several other threads intertwined between the various child boards. A personal observation: I think this site hurt itself by having too many child boards. Threads used to come fast and furious when there was just an Anything Goes board. It kept things more lively.

But this isn't about scoreboarding which site is better. Truth be told, they both have plenty to offer and I think they can both co-exist.

Because of that, I've become sort of a whore when it comes to which site I choose to frequent. Basically, if a thread interests me here, I'm here. If it interests me there, I'm there. There are probably members at both sites who have a problem with that, but I couldn't give two fucks.

Bottom line is that I'm at either site to find things to read that interest me and to interact with friends I've made over my six years here. That's the primary reason I've EVER been here or there. The only provision I've made for separation is that I have a different handle there. The Bubbler handle belongs to SJ and that will never change.

Do both sites have issues? Hell yes. Both are guilty of many of the same things. Outing, for example, has gone on at both sites, but neither site condones it. Since I've joined the other site, which would have been March, I haven't seen any instance of outing at all and I have access to the full site there. The notion that exists here that there is rampant outing over there is patently false.

Each site, in my opinion, does have distinct issues that are all their own. Here, its what most call trolling. I don't consider it trolling from most of the guilty parties so much as agenda-driven posting whether the thread has anything to do with an agenda or not. That's a problem here that many get away with.

Over there, it's the navel-gazing about this site. I will say this, it's nice to have a conduit to talk about SJ-related issues, because many perceived uncomfortable discussions about SJ (and TBD) have been spiked here, which I think is really unfortunate. I think the idea that you can't always speak freely about this site here has driven some people over there because they feel they don't have a voice. I totally sympathize with that.

On the other hand, the are several posters there who just can't help themselves but to take potshots at folks who remain here. It's totally petty and pointless. Why waste time getting angry about people you chose not to be with anymore? It's akin to complaining about an ex long past time the relationship is over.

What is the point of all of this? I really don't know, I just had to get it off my chest, but I do think if there's enough people at both sites willing to offer up the olive branch, it would do both sites a lot of good.

I encourage those here to give TSD a try before they criticize it. By the same token, the olive branch has to go both ways, and I encourage those who left to come back and give SJ another chance. I'm going to copy-and-paste this post there too.

Both sites will be richer for it, which is what we all want, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.