1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ.com ratings going down?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

OK, I'm casual poster on here, though I do read stuff a lot. Would never consider myself part of the "in crowd," so feel free to roll your eyes when I ask the following completely behind-the-times question: What is this "other" board, and when was there this supposed mass exodus from this site?

For the record, I'm not planning on going anywhere (whew, aren't you relieved?). I like this site, and I still visit it several times a day. I'm just curious to know what's on the other side of a fence that, until reading this thread, I didn't even know existed.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Someone can PM you the address if you are interested. It was about a year ago. I'd give it to you but I don't know it.

If you go, we'll be down 61 percent. DON'T GO DON'T GO!!

3. www.adamsfamily.com

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Even as someone who is here almost daily, thankfully the exodus was off my radar. I didn't know about it until they tried to out a regular poster here on their board.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

1) You don't want to be part of the "in crowd."
    2) The fact that you don't know about the "other" board and aren't caught up in the stupid drama so many people have created over a message board doesn't get an eye roll. It makes you my hero. You have a life.
    3) The "other" board is pretty much a copy of this board, as I understand it, except with a bunch of people who used to complain among themselves about this board, some of the posters and how it is moderated. I'm not sure there was a mass exodus. I know some very active posters on here have nuked or just stopped posting here over the last year or so. You can tell them when you find old posts by them and their user name is black and no longer active. I am not sure what became of some of them. I also have assumed that some of the people who showed up here during that time and within three days on the site knew a lot about other posters (often times bickering with the same people they used to bicker with) and some of the inside jokes, were people who nuked and reinvented themselves with a new name.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I tried that one place we don't talk about when this site was down. Not the same.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Hell, we're the gold standard!

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

There's obviously disagreement about what constitutes the high point of this board.
    I submit that the board's periods of highest activity and membership were not its high point.
    The decrease in activity seems like a move toward getting back to that high point.

9. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I just wish we didn't have a bunch of assholes around here arguing for the sake of arguing, telling people to go fuck themselves and pissing on threads because they are bored.

That kind of behaviour is terrible for this little online community and those people should be ashamed of themselves for ever engaging in those kinds of activities.....

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I piss on your argument. ;D ;D

11. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

New posts have declined five consecutive months. How does that relate to the assholes who left because of a board that started a year ago?

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Ouch! I'm not sure why I get under your skin so much.

And I always laugh when you call me a coffee or espresso repair man like I should be ashamed of it.

I've had several careers. Some were more "glamorous" but not were as satisfying, as much fun, or as profitable. I have more security now & am my own boss. it's a pretty good deal.

And I also have to laugh at some of the posters who were the most voracious about how this place should be restricted to sports journalists. It's not like their careers in journalism have been so spectacular.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.