1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ.com ratings going down?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by printdust, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

See, there you go.

National magazine writers and other truly, talented people have been replaced by coffee machine repairmen and wannabe bloggers. And people wonder why traffic is down?

But, hey, as long as there are less complaints and PMs...

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Apologies. Someone else posted about the "other" board, so I figured I'd put that out there. But it will be my last post on the topic.

And whether or not it's being handled, it's still VERY hypocritical and over the top to complain about it at one board and do the EXACT same thing over at their board where they can't face retribution/punishment.

Management over there is like Dusty Baker managing a pitching staff, compared to management over here. :D

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

This place has been much, much better since some of those assholes went to the other site. I was surprised at some who followed, but while people here can still get into a good argument, much of the vitriol and hatred is gone and that's been a fantastic thing.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

The board being quieter or more "boring" has to more to do with the fact that journalism as an industry itself is becoming something less than it was. It is changing, and maybe even dying, and that is being reflected here.

Certainly, the industry is less populated, thanks to all the people who have been laid off, fired or otherwise chased out of the business, and those that are still left in it are doing less work -- not less work individually, per say, because, no, they're doing more in that sense; but, the work that is being done is more of the short-form, five-word social-networking variety -- i.e. less penetrating and less impacting, just by nature, and less in-depth, less hard-hitting...just, less.

And, of course, have pointed out, there is less, in terms of sheer amount, that is being covered, challenged, discussed or otherwise brought to the fore by newspapers or other media thanks to all the cuts and budget constraints, and supposed lack of interest by the public, and so, of course there is less compelling engagement with readers.

Again, it's like the work in that sense. There's not less engagement, just less-meaningful engagement. And it is showing, everywhere, not just on this site.

The other factor I believe is contributing is that, with the loss or dispiriting of so many long-time journalists, this industry has changed and gotten younger -- way younger.

In fact, this industry is now making itself, pretty much, only for the young. That much is obvious from the jobs offered, what used to be mid-career jobs now being offered in the form of "internships" and "intermediate copy desk" and "trainee" positions. It is also obvious just from the work involved and the idea that older people "can't" or "won't" adjust or be willing to do it.

And, this is not intended as a dig at the young, but, frankly, such people have less to offer, in terms of experience and perspective or thoughtfulness, to most discussions.

That's not a knock. It's just reality, and it's natural. And with their prevalence in the business now, that will be felt on sites such as this.

Perhaps with time, and some history and perspective added that will change.

5. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I've noticed this place is very cyclical. There are times where nothing here interests me, but there are other times when I post constantly. Personally, I like the travel threads or the threads where people talk about personal experiences. Sometimes the sports threads are good but I don't feel like posting if I don't get in early.

A previous poster made a good point about Facebook. With the news feed you get the same purpose: an outlet to share sports stories, links, one-liners... but this is a different group. I have a bunch of Facebook friends but none of them would understand what I am talking about if I started talking about Don Baylor.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Oliver, I didn't believe the "sock puppet" talk about you until this thread. You took a cheap shot at some very talented, well positioned people who still post here very regularly. You have no idea who 99.9 percent of the people here are or what they do. Some of those at smaller shops make remarkable contributions. It's a great mix.
    And, sure, everyone who left is a HUGE name. Hell, they're not making that claim over there.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Plenty of assholes remain here. Some would say the assholes won.

8. Moderator1

"Asshole" like fun is in the eye of the beholder.
    There are plenty of assholes everywhere. And I do mean everywhere.

Good news about this thread is I think I finally figured Oliver out. No one can hide themselves very long. Maybe he'll take his bored little self somewhere else now.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm at the point where Facebook seems more like a chore to me than this site ever has. I'd love to delete my FB account, but it's the only way I communicate with family members who live around the country.

I'll be on this site as long as it exists. Hell, some of us have been here (or the sportspages site) for over a decade.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Oliver, no one has "replaced" anyone. Participation on this site is voluntary. People who left, left of their own accord. People who post here, are here voluntarily.

It's that simple. The fact that Moddy finds it less of a pain in the ass to moderate now doesn't mean he sought to drive anyone from this site to reduce his PMs. Moddy is still the same even-tempered, good guy (my characterization) he has always been. And anyone who has left here left for their own reasons.

The site is what it is. If you like it great. If you want to nudge it to try to make it into something you think would be better, it's easy enough. Make positive contributions. Like any place else with lots of personalities, the best way to get along is to ignore the people you don't like and engage the ones you do in order to make your exchanges more enjoyable.

Unfortunately, many people have a problem with that and an anonymous message board brings out their worst traits. To the extent that a couple of people who had trouble containing their worst traits have left here, it's not a bad thing as far as I am concerned. Some people I liked have left too. They have their reasons. It was their choice. As Moddy said, life goes on. It's a message board. I think the people who have had the most problems with this site create way too much drama around what should be a diversion, not their lives.

11. Moderator1

not their lives

Three very key words. Sadly, to many, it IS their lives. Very sad.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Plenty of people who can't contain their worst traits remain here.

I appreciate this thread remaining open so we can have a real discussion. I'll not get snarky in hopes it stays that way.

I don't really care about any past arguments I had in here with anyone. Frankly, I don't hardly even remember who I might have fought with. Some were with people who went somewhere else, some were with people who care still here. But I'll be gosh-darned if I can remember any specifics.

Still, none of that was cured because all of the assholes who can't control themselves left.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.