1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ.com Outing, er, GetTogether, Toronto, July 14-16

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Dec 27, 2005.

1. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Re: SportsJournalists.com Outing, Toronto, July 14-16

Mr R,

As a frequent guide for touring scribes and NHL types, I am saddened to report the decline and fall of Lolita's Lust. (Scene of Tom Barrasso episode.) Alas, new chef, terribly disappointing last time out.

For modestly priced fare but man-sized (sj-sized/) portions go no farther than Astoria beside Chester station. For better fare, Pan, which is where the Stones go when in town for rehearsals. For beer selection Allen's on Danforth. For ice cream, Hollywood Gelato on Bayview. My favorite pizza joint is Gerrard Pizza--which of course isn't on Gerrard but rather on Danf near Coxwell. The Madison is usually insane but a hang-out for agent Don Meehan, a scribe or two on his payroll and bar bill and visiting NHL execs.

I offer these up with no intention of attending. If you can advise me which nights you're there I'll go to lengths to avoid you. I prefer the cover of, cough, anonymity.

If it's Tuesday this must be East York, etc

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Mr. M,

Good suggestions.

Know Allen's.

Are you a fan of Doras Keogh?

Used to work a block from Madison. Lunched there regularly. Too old for the more traditional nightime activities.

Mr. M, if I can convince the outing to jump on the GO Train and head two stops to Mimico for a night at the legendary Blue Goose (recently profiled on TSN along with Messieurs Bolland and Shanahan), would you make the trek?

(Cash only, no debit or credit cards). ATM on site.

3. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr R,

Dora's sucks. Too young. Too loud. Too many faux Irish.

I was talking to Shanahan on Thursday. In his absence get his brothers to attend. I have a great story about him and them that will be featured in a soon-to-be-savaged tome, but I can't say anything more at this point.

I politely decline your offer for fear that it will be Risky Business-situation with everybody passed out around Chez Halfmiler.

YHS, etc

4. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I'm really bad at finding this stuff on the net, so I'm wondering where the best shopping districts are where some good used bookstores are.
    I'm unfamiliar with Toronto so any info would help.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

We have some great used bookstores but not sure you'll find them all in one district.  My favourite is "Contact Editions" (www.contacteditions.ca) which is easily accessible by subway.  For more general info, try www.toronto.ca.  If you're looking for clothes, etc. you should check out Queen Street West and the Eatons Centre has a gazillion different clothing stores.  They're all downtown, walking distance from the Skydome (or whatever the heck we call it now). 

6. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Depends how much dough you want to spend. If you want for basic mall fare then go to the Eaton's Centre in the heart of the city. If you want upscale stuff, go to the stretch of Bloor Street between Avenue Road and Yonge Street. That's where you'll find the Gucci, Hermes, Prada, Armani, etc. calibre of stores.

The McDonald's at Bloor and Avenue is famous for being the site of Ashlee Simpson's drunken tirade a few months back. I understand they give free Big Macs to anybody that will lyp synch their order.

7. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

As has been reported many times here by WNYers/Canadians living in Golden Horseshoe, that way you'll get to experience the thrill of the QEW, the Queen Elizabeth Way, one of the greatest roads in North America!

OTOH, you could also enjoy the Canadian Ballet in Fort Erie, stop at Niagara on the Lake, or take the Niagara River Parkway up to the Falls and then head on up to Toronto.

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Since this is still six months away, is there any objection to unstickying this thread?

9. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

I know it's still more than four months away, but has the official hotel been decided? Anything else from our organizers?

Anybody else know they're going now that didn't a few months ago?

If I don't fight fires in Alaska all summer, I'll definitely still be in Toronto for the outing.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I spent more than $1,000 for baseball tickets the other day, planning my summer tour around the country. I still have a wee bit left over for this trip. I know JR has been working on this.

JR, we yield to you.

11. PaseanaARG

PaseanaARG Guest

I know I'm reallllllly late on this, but ...

July 14-16 is really late in the summer. Jesus. We were trying to build our summer vac around this, but media days is like a week after the outing. Damn. There wasn't anything in late May or June? Is Toronto closed during those days?

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Well, it CAN snow in Toronto up until July 1.

Draft saved Draft deleted