1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ.com Outing, er, GetTogether, Toronto, July 14-16

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Dec 27, 2005.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Re: SportsJournalists.com Outing, Toronto, July 14-16

I'm gonna repost this request every so often:

E-mail request.

Once this thing gets rolling, I'd like to be able to update those coming with group e-mails rather than having to send out individual PMs or post every little detail on the board.

Plus, I know a few of the Toronto members have offered to help and I've got some ideas for social outings, etc. And maybe we could have a Toronto members Starbucks/Tim's/Blue Goose/Firkin/ get-together to toss some ideas around.

Maybe anybody who has said they're coming, planning on coming or wants to help, e-mail me at: mimicoguy@yahoo.ca (ca, not com).

Confidentiality is assured.

2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Hey, the Canucks roots are blue and green. I grew up in Vancouver and the original hockey stick logo is still my favourite (even though I hate the Canuckleheads).  And if you're looking for a team, Leafs Nation is always looking for new citizens.  :D

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

It's true that the hockey stick logo was the NHL team's first:

[​IMG]

But it turns out there's an even older Vancouver Canucks logo that dates back to a Western Hockey League franchise that operated in the late 1960s:

[​IMG]

Johnny Canuck, he was called. Who knew? :)

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Expedia currently showing fares starting at <$350 round-trip from Nashville (over $100 cheaper than from Atlanta, despite the fact that you connect through Hartsfield. And Delta wonders why it's going tits up.)

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Another thought:

How much is it to rent a car in Buffalo and drive it across the border? Flights there look to be much less expensive.

6. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

The Vancouver Canucks were part of the old Western Hockey League that vied with the American Hockey League as the priemer minoe league in the six team NHL era. With only 120 jobs available in the NHL, there were plenty of quality players that made a career on the WHL.

The NHL Canucks were initally managed by a former Edmonton Flyer coach, Bud Poile. His son now runs Nashville

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

A quick search of Expedia shows 3-day rentals (from 7/14 to 7/17) leaving Buffalo starting a shade under $100 and remaining in that ballpark.

8. Double J

Double J Active Member

Or, in Don Cherry's case, in the AHL, the WHL, the EPHL, the CPHL, et cetera.... ;D

Just kidding, Grapes. Today you'd be a top-two defenceman on any NHL team, making $5 million a year.

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

If you're going that route, check out Jet Blue. I've used them to fly to New York a few times and it was cheaper to rent a car and drive to Buffalo than fly out to TO.

10. Hockeyscribe

Hockeyscribe Member

Just got back from visiting relatives in T.O. Hit the Bier Market and it was a beer lover's dream. Drank some fine Belgian brews that I've never seen or heard of in the States. And yes, it was kinda pricey, around $6 CDN per pint. But well worth it.

Also checked out the Hockey Hall (again). It's a must-see, even if you're not a big hockey fan. $12 CDN gets you in the door, and you can have your picture taken with Lord Stanley's Cup.

11. Re: SportsJournalists.com Outing, Toronto, July 14-16

Just got back from T.O. as well....

Checked out the Bier Market as well (highly recommend it), the Madison (hella crowded), Kalender's (Little Italy - great place to grab drinks/coffee/pasta) and the Lions Gate Pub on the Beach.

Hotel was three blocks from the shooting site. There's a shitload of flowers, notes and the like. Very powerful.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm hoping Mr. Miler can chime in on some of his favorite pubs/restaurants in his end of the city.

Draft saved Draft deleted