1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ.com Outing, er, GetTogether, Toronto, July 14-16

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Dec 27, 2005.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

The Cup's in front of his face right. Dude should change his name to Wilson

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Ha! Actually I spent the first day in Toronto introducing myself as "Novelist_Wannabe." I kind of picked you randomly. I figured you had just enough posts for me to destroy your reputation in one weekend and head back to the board in time to sit with a bag of popcorn and see how people react to you. Unfortunately, I couldn't keep up the charade. I didn't count on Jones injecting me with Sodium Pentathol after he slipped me the mickey. The evil fuck was just trying to get me to reveal Boom and 21's real identities and I ended up giving myself away.

3. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

I'll send it to FJ by the end of the week, along with a bunch of other great ones (including some from the Jersey Giant).

Update from my continued outing: watched a poorly-played Single-A game in Fort Wayne, Indiana last night. It was still a lot of fun, reminded me of the local semipro team back home. Weather for 7 p.m. first pitch was PERFECT. I caught a t-shirt from the launcher cannon. And it was Dollar Night at the ball park: $1 hot dogs, sodas and yes, beer.

Joining my dad in Detroit for the second half of this trip has been a strange experience. Yesterday afternoon, I followed him on a tour of a 300,000 square foot plant where ITT assembles indestructable radios for the U.S. military in Fort Wayne. Then today, we toured AM General's main facilities in South Bend, Indiana. That's where they make all military and many civilian Hummers. Apparently tomorrow I get to see something top secret somewhere in central Michigan. ::)

I think defense writers might even be more weird than sports scribes.

Then tomorrow night, the highlight of the trip since leaving Toronto: Chicago White Sox at Detroit Tigers. For those of you who put up with me babbling on and on about how excited I was about the potential pitching matchups in this series, know that the game we're attending is the absolute best one I hoped for: Vazquez vs. Bonderman. Look for me and CR Sr. on ESPN. We'll be the ones hanging the clever sign over the railing above the bullpen in left field.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

Good plan, CR, keep the stolen automatic weapons a secret until the very last second. No sense in tipping your hand too soon. :eek:

Seriously, we all hope the second part of your outing is just as enjoyable and interesting as the first part was.

Indestructible radios, though, that got me thinking. Hell for sports journalists must be an eternity of listening to an endless loop of Whitlock, Lupica, Albom and Simmons on one of those things.

5. CradleRobber

They put each batch through a couple dozen tests, including swinging a 500-pound chunk of iron down from 12 feet to simulate the radio being struck by a missile. Amazing stuff.

The second part of the outing has been very enjoyable, and after last weekend, it's probably a good thing I can't legally enter taverns in the states. It will be nice to go home to 65-degree weather, though.

:D

6. patchs

patchs Active Member

CR, your little quote at the end made my night.
    And is anyone else still behind in their sleep?
    I still need a few more hours to make up for those 4 to 9 a.m. nights.
    My kids are on summer vacation, why won't they sleep in?

7. CradleRobber

Glad I could make your night. Trust me, it made my day when I introduced myself, you looked at me for about two seconds and then said that.

I'm behind on my sleep, but I'm on such a weird schedule in the East Coast time zone that I don't get tired until about 3 or 4. It's like I'm still on a weeknight PST schedule.

8. patchs

patchs Active Member

It was meant as a compliment. :D
    Can't say I'm not brutally honest.

9. CradleRobber

Nor until recently would I have ever tried to deny it.

:D

10. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Bah, sleep. I woke up at 9 on Monday and 8:45 yesterday.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I woke up at 12:15 yesterday, went back to bed at 2, and slept until 5.

Woke up earlier today, like 10, but was back asleep by 10:45 and woke up for good about 20 minutes ago.

12. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Up at 6:30 am today and yesterday. Sucks. :(

Draft saved Draft deleted