1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ.com Outing, er, GetTogether, Toronto, July 14-16

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Dec 27, 2005.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Re: SportsJournalists.com Outing, Toronto, July 14-16

Well that's good because we don't want you in our room! :D (I'll feel very silly if Boots comes on here and says "no fucking way, that guy smells")

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

I have every intention of making it, schedule allowing.

3. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Too bad for all you Yanks that our dollar is a monster these days. Two years ago, you would have saved 50%. Now, not so much.

The Royal York is about a 10-minute walk to the SkyD...er, Rogers Centre, and practically right next door to the Hockey Hall of Fame.

But downtown hotels ain't so cheap. Best you could do there is probably $150 a night. And every weekend trip I've made there for baseball has left me scratching my head that the downtown core virtually shuts down at 5 p.m. Friday, for the weekend.

Coming from a city (Montreal) where that's when the action gets started, it's a little off-putting. Then again, the same thing seems to happen in a lot of U.S. downtowns too.

One more thing: you don't need a bank to change your money. Just go to any ATM and you'll probably be able to take it right out of your account.

Wish I could be there. Playing in a tennis tournament that weekend. The earlier date is my birthday (and our Quebec national holiday) and I have no shot at convincing the hubby a weekend in Toronto is what I'd really want to do. ;D

4. soccer dad

soccer dad Guest

5 pm? are you staying in a daycare?

i freely admit that montreal has the better nightlife, but if you cant find things to do in toronto, you arent trying.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Jesus, am I supposed to do something about this? :)

Kidding.

Promise, this week, I'll find a hotel.

6. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Nah, wasn't saying that.
    Unlike most of my fellow citizens, I love going to Toronto. So much more of everything.
    Was there two weeks ago. Going there in a week to play in a tennis tournament, although probably won't get out of the Mayfair Club shuttle between Downsview and Markham too often. ::)

Not talking about the nightlife as much as the retail situation (I am a girl. ;D)

If I'm going to drive somewhere for a weekend, I have to admit I'll take the extra 45 minutes in the car and go to NYC though, not to offend anyone.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Moddy, stick this for a week or so, OK?

BTW, if anyone wants to be updated on things, PM me with your e-mail address and I'll add you to my SportsJournalists.com group mailing list.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I think I;m engaged to her sister

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I hope I may somehow be able to snare one of the many beautiful Toronto women who surely will be looking for a U.$. male [/tonguefromcheek].

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Exchange rate ain't what it used to be folks.

$100.00 Usd will only buy you $114.00 Loonies today.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

And we know whose fault that is  ;D

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

OK, THIS IS IMPORTANT!!!

If you're planning on coming, please PM me with your e-mail address. I'm starting the hotel search in earnest now but in order to get group rates I need numbers, folks. I also need to know how many ball tickets to set aside.

I know it's March and all but I think Toronto hotel rooms may be at a bit of a premium this summer.

With the musical Lord of the Rings making its world premiere in Toronto this spring, with the SARS scare over and despite the crappy exchange rate (for Yanks, anyway), tourism is expected to return to normal (i.e. no vacancy levels)

So, please let me know if you plan on coming--sooner rather than later.

Draft saved Draft deleted