1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ.com NFL survival game (playoffs)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Vombatus, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: SportsJournalists.com NFL survival game (we have a winner!)

Everyone in my work pool was eliminated this week. Most of us were bounced by the Titans loss, but one guy who had been telling us for the last month why he was smarter than all of us by not picking the Jags every week, was bounced for picking the Redskins on Thursday night.

So all of us who were still alive entering last week have found new life...

2. SchrodingerCat

SchrodingerCat New Member

Hello all! I'm a lurker here and a refugee from the Dark Side, aka advertising. As ondeadline said, I'm his wife. Our family does a tournament bracket every year, and he's been trying to get me to try a survivor pool for awhile. We'll see if he ever suggests that again.

I'd like to claim my success is due to my immense football knowledge, but it's really just a string of lucky guesses combined with with Jake Locker's injury. (Although it has been fun telling our teenage son that I must know more about the NFL than he does.)

I still might get 3 strikes before someone else does. Thanks for letting me play!

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard, cat!

4. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I'm one of 3 left in this 3-strikes version of the survival pool. If it's still going after Week 17, it could get very interesting. I figure to have at least 2 teams that I've not picked who will be playing in the wild-card round, luckily. But it's going to get really difficult!

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

The Aces are still alive too!

6. Vombatus

I'm alive with two strikes as well.

Just to be clear, I set the league up with the three strikes method because I really enjoy the game. I consider it to have three Phases.

Phase One, going as far as you can with no strikes, was won by Schrodinger's Cat.

Phase Two, going farther with just one strike, was a tie between me and one of you two (Huggy or ondeadline). One of you got your second strike before the other two of us.

Phase Three between the three of us is ongoing. I am excited about it and am looking forward to seeing how this plays out. I haven't saved any teams to cover the playoffs though, so I am probably screwed.

Anyway, I am glad people have enjoyed the game this year. Happy holidays!

VB

7. ondeadline

I think I could have 3 playoff teams that I haven't picked. The key, though, is that you have to be able to pick a team that's playing in the wild-card round to survive "week 18."

8. Vombatus

Ondeadline and I are on Pit; Aces are on Phi. Good luck!

9. Vombatus

All three of us made it to the playoffs. I have two playoff teams and will have picks for week '18' and if I get a win, week '19', but that is as far as I can go.

Good luck folks!

10. Vombatus

Whoa - surprise. You can pick any of the eight teams this weekend, regardless of whether you picked them already in the regular season. Yahoo never made that clear in its rules, but now we know.

That eases things up a lot.

11. ondeadline

Exactly. I was stunned. Here I was Sunday cheering hard for Chicago because I had not picked the Bears and I had picked the Packers. I never tried to "save" possible playoff teams, but I know eliminated players who did!

I could see all 3 of us picking the next 4 weeks correctly and there would be no outright winner. If you could only pick a team you had not picked during the regular season, I doubt that would be the case.

12. Vombatus

Ondeadline,

We can score it both ways- with all teams available
    And also with what we have left.

My 18 and 19 picks would have been GB then NE.
    I think Ace had zero playoff teams left, but is still alive with the playoff format.
    What would be your 18th pick with what you had left?

VB

Draft saved Draft deleted