1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ.com NFL survival game (playoffs)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Vombatus, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Re: 2013 SportsJournalists.com NFL survival game (Deadline for second week is Thursday 8:25 EDT)

One thing to consider is that fact that Yahoo is allowing the playoffs to be included this year. I haven't read all the fine print in the yahoo survival rules, but I suspect that if someone has picked all 12 playoff teams in the regular season, you are screwed in the playoffs with no teams left to pick.

Of course, that only really matters if you are 17-0 at that point, something probably none of us have ever done.

Personally, I am picking to try to get to 17-0 and not worrying about "saving" some teams for the playoffs, because that is a sure fired way to not go 17-0 in the first place.

The inclusion of the playoffs certainly does add a new wrinkle and makes the whole thing a lot more challenging if you have to save teams to survive through the playoffs. (Assuming Yahoo still doesn't allow you to pick a playoff team that has been picked in the regular season). I haven't read the rules closely to figure this new wrinkle out.

My advice is just try to get to 17-0. If we have two people get to 17-0, well, we'll use the playoffs to see who can make it even further.

VB

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Re: 2013 SportsJournalists.com NFL survival game (Deadline for second week is Thursday 8:25 EDT)

It's pretty lame that we get three strikes. Devalues the game.

3. Vombatus

I am keeping track of who screwed up when and will post the results at the end of the season. So far, two victims in Week 1, two in Week 2.

I really enjoy playing this game even after having my toes shot off, so that is why I opted for the three strikes thing. I agree with you, but I also wanted people to have the fun to continue playing. And it gets really tricky in Week 16 and 17 with some playoff teams sitting a lot of top players out.

VB

4. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

New strategy: Pick whoever is playing Cleveland. For their second trip through the AFC North, alternate with whoever is playing Jacksonville. Easy way to cruise through this.

5. Vombatus

Re: 2013 SportsJournalists.com NFL survival game (Deadline remains Thursday 8:25 EDT each week)

Bump. Deadline for weeks 3 through 15 is Thursday nights at 8:25 PM eastern time.

I think it will be different for weeks 16 and 17 when there are no Thursday games.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Re: 2013 SportsJournalists.com NFL survival game (Deadline remains Thursday 8:25 EDT each week)

I guess I'm glad we have the three strikes in play since I wasn't able to get my pick in last night... Easiest pick of the season too...

7. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Freaking Vikings. I should have known better.

8. Vombatus

Now that we are halfway through week 3, 11 of 21 pickers have gotten their first strike. 4 were out after the first two weeks, two forgot to pick this week, and now 5 got torched by CLE over MIN.

Of the remaining 10 in action this afternoon, 8 are on Seattle, so if JAX pulls off the upset, only two folks will still be alive with no strikes.

9. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I got torched today by Min... tried to save the good teams for one more week... and just didn't get it done... oh well.

10. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Next week won't be easy.

11. da man

da man Well-Known Member

I'm amazed by how many people picked Minnesota this week. According to the Yahoo page, the Vikings were the second-most popular pick behind Seattle. Yes, that's right, ahead of Denver at home against Oakland.

It's really easy to outsmart yourself in this game. Playing it conservatively doesn't always pay off, but it pisses you off less when you lose.

12. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

Minn over Cleveland isn't supposed to be a risky pick. I'd be tempted to pick Alabama over Cleveland at this point. The Browns have admittedly given up on the season, at least up in the owner's box. Guess the guys on the field think differently.

Draft saved Draft deleted