1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ.com New England gathering: June 28, Cape Cod League baseball.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by wickedwritah, Apr 21, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Since there seem to be some smaller, more regional SportsJournalists.com gatherings popping up, this sounds kinda neat. An idea was pitched by CapeCodder to hold a mini-SportsJournalists.com gathering at a Cape League game this summer. The fact that you might run into Gammons is a nice bonus. And since CapeCodder is a newbie, he can buy all the beers. :D (Heck, maybe Gammons will be posting here by then. One can dream.)

This would be intended as more of a one-night deal. As anyone who knows the Northeast can tell you, the Cape is ridiculously expensive at that time of year. People like myself, who live within driving distance of the Canal, would be the most likely attendees.

As of now, the only nights that I can be assured of getting off are Thursdays. So I came up with these dates, also factoring in nights the Sox are on the road, in case you have tickets to see Dice-K pitch. (Cape League games in parentheses.)

-- June 21 (Wareham at Brewster).
    -- June 28 (Brewster at Bourne, Chatham at Yarmouth-Dennis, Cotuit at Harwich, Wareham at Hyannis, Falmouth at Orleans).
    -- July 26 (Hyannis at Bourne [a scouts' night game], Brewster at Chatham, Falmouth at Harwich, Y-D at Orleans, Cotuit at Wareham).

June 21 is slim pickings and is the end of the first week of the Cape League season. July 26 kicks off the final weekend of the regular season, days before the playoffs, so the scouts likely will be crawling at most of the games.

I also hear that Orleans is a great place to watch a ballgame and it's close to important stuff (i.e. bars selling cold adult beverages), so that seems to eliminate June 21.

If anyone is interested, please post on this thread or drop me a PM, along with a preferred date. I'm thinking the front-runners are June 28 and July 26 as of now.
  2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Re: SportsJournalists.com gathering potential: Cape Cod League this summer.

Preliminary indications pointing to June 28, from the few folks who've chimed in.
  3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

So far, I have heard from a handful of people who want to do this, and the plans are moving forward.

It looks like June 28 shall be the day. I propose the game then some drinks. (Very expensive) lodging would be up to you, but I surmise that most people would drive down to the Cape for the day, then leave once they have sobered up.

Updates shall follow.
  4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Have about a dozen people who have expressed an interest in coming along, and only a couple firm commits. It will be a small gathering.

Anyone who hasn't PMed me yet, please do so. I may bump this one more time before June 28, if I remember to do so.
  5. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Can't do the 28th, but I might be interested in that July date.
  6. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I'm still there. Just name the time and the place.
  7. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

I'd like to attend one of these sj gatherings...but the 28th won't work for me either. Wicked, if a later date is chosen, don't hesitate to re-re-re-bump this thread.

In any case...have fun.
  8. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Any news?
  9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

UT, check your PMs. Same goes for everyone else who has touched base regarding this.

Here's the Cliff's Notes version:

The game that the most people can get to seems to be July 28. Orleans seemed to win out in the field location derby, so it'd be the Falmouth at Orleans game, 7 p.m.

I'm doing some searching into pre-game watering holes now, and when I get details, I'll post 'em.

Mert and Larry, if this goes well, I say we should do this again once more before summer ends, potentially at one of the Sox' minor-league parks. If that does happen, you'll be in the loop.
  10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Here's the deal: People who said they were in had to back out (understandably), and others who said they probably were in haven't PMed me (probably because they're busy).

Anyway, if you are in, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. Otherwise, it's being called off.

I have two commits now, including myself, and I'd like to see at least five show up. If not, plug's pulled.
  11. chazp

chazp Active Member

Wish I could be there and meet some of you guys/girls. Have fun.
  12. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I'm going to be in Cape Cod the 20-22. So if somehow a gathering could be held then, I'd be able to make it.
Draft saved Draft deleted