1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ.com Memorial Day 300 rock songs TOP SONG ON PAGE 10

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by I Should Coco, May 16, 2011.

1. Upper Tupper

Upper Tupper Member

Would like to see gross income of Pearl Jam vs. U2 during the '90s.

2. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't think Pearl Jam played the football stadiums regularly like U2 does. I remember seeing Pearl Jam in a basketball arena that sat about 18,000 and tickets sold out in about an hour.

3. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

But they played a lot more shows, I would imagine. I was in NY back in the early 2000s when they were playing a series of shows at MSG and I was staying at a hotel directly across the street from the arena. There was also an industry trade show there, so you had this really weird mix of business types in their 40s to 60s and Pearl Jam fans in their early to mid-20s hanging out at the bar each night.

I remember being in HS when "Ten" came out and not liking them much because I thought they were "sellouts" compared to a band like Mudhoney. Also, they seemed way, way too earnest. I've softened over the years, although I think the band has as well. I think their appearance in "Singles" turned the tide for me.

Just because: Pearl Jam dressed as Devo doing "Whip It" -

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

That is too cool.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

It's not just you.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

When it comes to cranking out great cover versions, Pearl Jam is right up there with Springsteen.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The first time I saw Pearl Jam was on New Year's Eve in 1991. It went Pearl Jam, Nirvana and the Chili Peppers at the Cow Palace in San Fran. Amazing show.

I agree about the covers. Pearl Jam did this song called "I'm a Patriot" that just gives me chills. I don't remember who did it originally, but it was awesome. I saw them once where after their second encore they came back out and played for another 45 minutes doing Who and Neil Young covers.

8. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Springsteen guitarist Little Steven originally did "I Am a Patriot"

Jackson Browne also covered it and here's a clip of Jackson & Steven playing it together:

Draft saved Draft deleted