1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sj.com gets runner-up as Best Non-Corporate Sports Web Site"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Thanks for coming in to redirect the flames:)

But seriously, I think you really should have held off on publishing these names unless absolutely confirmed. They are still kids and not professional athletes. If you are wrong, what you have written is still out there forever and can hurt them.

On the other hand, the print media does mess up too. A couple of months ago, when the three Georgia basketball players were suspended for violation of academic policies, the AJC, ABH and other reputable publications were writing that they were suspended for "missing class" which was incorrect.

I did use my sources (yes guys I do have them, like it or not), I was able to verify that it was for reasons other than missing class. Yes, I had at first followed the print media lemmings and incorrectly posted the reason in a commentary, but it was fixed in less than five minutes. For me, that was a lesson learned.

Just my 2 Cents.

2. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Noted.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

It really doesn't matter who the source is. Either you have it or you don't. When you know you really don't have it confirmed, you shouldn't run it.

And did the tipster run a story in his own paper? If not, that should tell you something.

4. I didn't dislike bloggers until you started posting here. Your lack of self-awareness and professionalism is astounding.

You write that you followed the print media - yet you call the print media lemmings. No buddy, you're the lemming. The print media was following information from real sources. You were following them. Did you even have a source of your own? Not from what you just wrote.

The truth is, without the print media to steal from your blog would be even more worthless than it is now.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

All very true, out. I operated by those same rules when i was at a newspaper.
    the names should be out early next week ... feel free to give us the <a href="http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-baseball21dec21,0,4757654.story?coll=la-home-center">LA Times treatment</a> if we're wrong.

7. I have got to get better a making sure the tongue in cheek is clearer when I post here ;-)

But keep in mind, the real sources never told the media that it was for missing classes. They were told it was for violation of academic policy. The information from the sources was not read correctly.

So in the spirit of how people talk around here...Bite Me :-*

Did I just say that?

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

When's the Lute Olsen Appreciation dinner?

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Not sure, but I think his soon-to-be ex is hosting it.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Better not be mine. All my quips are copyrighted.

11. I booby-trap mine.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I could never make you look at bad as you make yourself look on a dailly basis.

Kim Kardashian's vagina on line 3 for you, TBL.

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted