1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sj.com gets runner-up as Best Non-Corporate Sports Web Site"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i for one am not shocked by what's transpiring.

2. I am. If I told my editors I'm not completely sure the story's right - but don't worry everybody gets it wrong sometimes and that's why we run corrections - I would be out on my ass, praying for the Big Lead to hire me.

Must be nice to not have standards. Good God.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

again, low standards by our buddies the bloggers don't surprise me in the least.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Sad thing is you don't even have the sense to be as embarrassed as you should be.

5. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Look, man, I don't hate you and while I don't read your blog on a daily basis, I haven't hated it when I have read it. I respect what you're trying to do in this business. I just don't understand how you're going about it, and I don't understand how you conduct and defend yourself on this board.

For instance, this very post ... You made it clear when naming the FSU players that you knew the info might be faulty, but that you trusted it. Then, when you were only 66% right you act as if it's some sort of victory? As if running a correction completely and totally erases the mistake?

I know you point to the LA Times as justification, but that too boggles my mind. The Times embarrassed itself by publishing such inaccurate information. We should all look at the Times and decree that such mistakes are what we want to avoid, but your posts on here point fairly clearly to the fact that it's an example you intend on following.

You don't ever seem embarrassed by being wrong. You seem flippant ... proud, almost. That's something so many of us just can't respect. We're never proud of our mistakes. We're embarrassed and humiliated. We vow to do better next time, to confirm that source and find a better one, to make damn sure we don't make the same mistake again. We care about our credibility and we base it on being right before being first. If you want us to take you seriously, you need to at least act like credibility is as important to you as it is to us.

6. anyone hear what happened to the LA Times writer? I don't imagine he's bragging about his fuck up on a message board - if he still has a job ...

7. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

How is what i wrote bragging? admitting an error is bragging? please email me your decoder ring, WB ...

8. "Worst % than the LA Times on the Grimsley affidavit."

you admit to an error - and then smugly try to justify it by comparing it to the LA Times fuckup. Maybe bragging isn't the right word. But it's no less a form of douchebaggery. Did you even try to contact the players to verify what your "sources" told you? You're reckless and unashamed about it.

9. Lucas Wiseman

Lucas Wiseman Well-Known Member

Dear God, please let someone with a lot of money read that on SI's web site and make an offer to buy SJ. The first couple pages of this thread are exactly the reason why even I am getting tired of this place.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

if someone does offer to take this place off your hands, please make sure they're condescending as hell before you close the deal.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

You think IJAG doesn't have a life now, take away this place and see what happens.

12. All I can say is that Richard Deitsch must really like the Patriots.

Draft saved Draft deleted