1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ.com gathering at/around the Belmont

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by imjustagirl, May 26, 2008.

1. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

Track hell will be (mostly) over by then, and I've never been to the Belmont. IJAG/gingerbread, want to play tour guide?

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Track hell is over then PD.
    Freaking baseball and softball State finals hell is not!

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

*shudder*

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Road trip!

Only 8 1/2 hours.

Worth it if only to see IJAG again.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I could be interested in hanging out.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Oh my god. I never imagined you guys would be in. Hell, I'll get a two-bed room and you guys can crash with me.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Nah, I was kidding. At $5.00 a gallon, we have to rethink roadtrips.

But HC is gonna be in NYC the following weekend.

8. imjustagirl

Well craptacular.

Even if lodging is free, we subway everywhere, and I cover most of your drinks? :D

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

If I may--and it should be noted that I fucked up when giving IJAG and MM a subway suggestion at last year's shindig--the subways do not run to Belmont. Long Island Rail Road, does, however. If you can stand Penn Station's odd stench of fast food and month old urine.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

BE WARNED:

IF YOU ARE OF THE MIND TO ACTUALLY WATCH THE ENTIRE BELMONT FROM SOMEWHERE WITHIN THE MAIN BUILDING:

The post-race rush to the LIRR trains is a heartpounding nightmare . . . made much worse by recent LIRR logistical decisions . . . and certainly to be intensified
    by a crowd which will be INSANELY-SIZED if the weather's decent.

BELIEVE ME . . . the best way to play this, if anyone drives out there, and gets reasonably-decent parking position, is to pile as many into the vehicle, and drive back to the city. You'll be infinitely happier.

A case can be made for most to take the LIRR to the track . . . then pile into a car used by
    the stalwart who chose to drive out . . . for the return trip. A very, very good case.

11. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I would add that if you're considering driving to and from Belmont, to get to the track early and leave late. Along with the holidays, it is one of the worst days of the year to drive.

12. imjustagirl

From the Belmont site:

So that's what I was planning on doing. Driving? No thanks.

And for those of you talking about crowds and early and late leaving? I cover NASCAR. We're there 7 hours before the race and 4 hours after to beat traffic. I'm used to it.

Draft saved Draft deleted