1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ.com discoveries

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dedo, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Dedo

Dedo Member

Thanks to a suggestion on the books thread, I recently enjoyed a brilliant work of fiction I never, ever would have found had it not been for this board. And it got me to thinking about all the other little discoveries I've made over the years as a result of this site. I've been a (very) occasional poster ever since the Sportspages days (I was that bastard Anon 5:13), and I'm constantly finding little recommendations that end up making my life more enjoyable.

I'm not talking about iPods, or MLB.tv, or stuff you would have eventually heard about anyway. I'm referring to things that, had you not seen them mentioned here, you never would have found. Like:

"Seven Types of Ambiguity," by Elliott Perlman. Much appreciated, DD.

Shure e2c headphones. Thanks to a glowing review here, I picked up a pair a few years ago, and haven't been on a flight or a treadmill without them since.

The music of The Weakerthans.

"Miller's Crossing." Seeing several people endorse it here, I gave it a try. And about 50 viewings later, it's one of my top five favorite movies of all-time.

Countless subtle observations about "The Wire." Yes, this is kind of cheating, but I've learned more about that show on the threads here than just any of the fanboy message boards and blogs dedicated to the show.

I'm sure there are many others. Anyone else?

2. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

There really is a lot to be gleaned off this board, but I particularly like it when t_b_f posts a recipe. He apparently knows his shit.

3. Yuengling.

Thanks, Hustle.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I love it when Double Down and ballscribe explain tennis. I've learned a hella lot from them. I was always a big tennis fan, but now I understand it better.

TBF's recipes are always good.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Until SportsJournalists.com, I never knew of the existence of Canada.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Boom.

7. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Glad I could help.

My new slogan: Contributing to drunkenness around the globe since 1996.

Good Lord, I've been drinking for over a decade. No wonder I can't remember anything for more than five minutes.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

That's a coincidence.

We didn't know about you either. :)

9. Two decades for me ... ever since I was 14. First time I got drunk was at my older sister's boyfriend's kegger ... she was 'babysitting' me.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Maybe this belongs on the "I'm old" thread, but jeez, Hustle, you just made feel ready for a walker. I've been drinking for more than 2 decades (one and half of those legally).

As for the rest of the thread, I've discovered countless books, read tons of articles I probably wouldn't have otherwise (Junod's June Esquire story among others), learned all about transsexuality and cross-dressing in detail I wouldn't have sought out on my own, "watched" the De La Hoya - Mayweather fight online with SportsJournalists.commers instead of going to bed and lots of other things, I'm sure.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Ass-goiters, gunts.

12. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Not to threasjack, but would someone please take a look at the photo of Jessica Alba on the cover of the current GQ and give an ass goiter ruling? Looks to me like Jessica's sporting a small one

Draft saved Draft deleted