1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ.com: Breaking up less marriages than World of Warcraft!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Feb 15, 2008.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I was going to buy my brother World of Warcraft for Christmas. He told me if I did, his wife would kill me.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Yeah, but how often can you chat with Mr. T here? You know there's a chance to talk to Mr. T while playing WOW along with not getting any in a Mikelennium.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I beat Warcraft II once upon a time.

5. Good God. I've got family members addicted to this game to the point my wife wouldn't buy it for me if I asked for it.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

WOW is a D&D type of game, yes?

I tried playing a D&D game once, in high school. I felt like such a fucking tool and gave it up fairly quickly.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

People don't destroy marriages, WOW does.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

My ex roommate was fucking obsessed with WOW.

10. I play this game. Some people are more than capable of playing as a diversion from real life. Others aren't. The Future Mrs. Omar works with several people addicted to the game. They take vacation time or call in sick so they can play. One of her coworkers is getting divorced because he basically turned down sex so he could keep playing.

I also play with several people who met a significant other or, in a few cases their eventual spouse, playing World of Warcraft. So, for some, it's like a dating service with better graphics. Go figure.

I'll go days or weeks at a time without playing. The past two football seasons, I've canceled my membership due to lack of time, then renewed it once the season's over.

The biggest problem I have with the game is that it's virtually impossible to hop on and play for "a little while." Unlike a console game where you can hop on and play a full game of Madden or wreak havoc in Grand Theft Auto for 30 or 45 minutes, it can sometimes take that long just to get to where you need to go to do a quest or run a dungeon.

That to me is a much more addictive quality than the fact it's a game with no end. Warcraft presents itself as this little self-contained world of fantasy. Life here on good ole Planet Earth keeps on keepin' on, so the same applies for the game. Don't mind that aspect of it a bit, though I can understand how players who put in way more time than yours truly get frustrated with that aspect.

It should be noted that I played a lot less before I met the Future Mrs. Omar... when our relationship became serious, my WoW cohorts encouraged me to get her to start playing the game. She's not interested.

I'm sure I'll keep playing sporadically until August or so, then cancel again.

Until then, any fellow WoW geeks here at SJ can find me on the Cenarion Circle server. Unfortunately, the human characters look nothing like Omar. Although I do have a troll named Weebay.

11. Jones

Jones Active Member

I played D&D pretty hardcore when I was a kid -- I had a dwarf thief named Jack Knob for, like, a hundred million sessions -- but then my testicles started producing semen, and everything changed.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Curt Schilling thought you were his friend.

Draft saved Draft deleted