1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ.com amnesty, or, the dumbest thing you've ever posted here

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo, Nov 6, 2017.

1. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Over two incarnations here, I've made nearly 54,000 posts. What a fucking loser! Many, many of those posts were full of dumbass comments, decisions and fights instigated (hi @outofplace!). But it struck me yesterday, while watching the Rams throttle the Giants, that the dumbest thing I ever did at SJ dot com was declare Jeff Fisher was a good NFL coach.

At 6-2, the Rams have one fewer win than they did in any season under Fisher. They have more points this year than they did all of last season. They lead the league in points after never ranking higher than 21st under Fisher. They have allowed the ninth-fewest points after never ranking in the top 10 under Fisher, who was supposed to be a defensive-minded coach. Jared Goff, who looked like a JaMarcus Russell-sized bust last year, looks like an All-Pro this year. The Rams look like a legitimate candidate to make a deep playoff run one year after dispatching Fisher, who hasn't won a playoff game since 2003.

Thus, in retrospect, I must admit Jeff Fisher was not a good NFL coach. He was not a mediocre NFL coach. He was a barely sentient lifeform. I threw my weight and staked my impeccable message board reputation behind the wrong guy.

So I come here, like Al Bundy with that decades-old library book, to ask for amnesty from you but in particular my Fisher foes @zagoshe and @QYFW, whomever the hell he is, and request my idiocy be stricken from the board's collective memory bank. In hopes of nudging the board to approve my request, I also ask that other members join in on this thread, and ask for amnesty for the dumbest of the dumbass things they have posted here.

Thank you for your consideration. Vote Quimby.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

We only get one amnesty?

OK, I guess I'll go with my car analogy in explaining why trickle-down economics is a failure. It was universally panned.

3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I'm sorry for the time I lost my temper and big-timed @daemon. It wasn't nice. I don't want it deleted, though, because it's good to be haunted sometimes. Regrets sometimes serve a purpose.

FileNotFound and Double Down like this.
  4. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

Read the post, dummy! Shit. Now I want amnesty for being an asshole here. :D

Technically, I wrote "dumbest things" here. so I suppose it would be acceptable if you want to request amnesty for more than one thing. If people are gonna actually make nice with each other, a la typefitter, then we're probably gonna need a bigger boat.

5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

My first ID on this site lasted all of 10 posts because I tried to go at one of the more accomplished and established posters here and was so thoroughly destroyed that I had to go into SJ.com witness protection.

If I recall correctly, I think I claimed he couldn't have been that good of a journalist because of how many posts he had on here. "No journalist worth his salt can spend that much time posting on a message board." I said this fresh out of college, working at a community weekly. I don't remember who the poster was, but the hounds quickly rounded and told me how insanely wrong I was. I don't need amnesty for this, as that version of me has long since been buried, but it is definitely the dumbest thing I've ever posted on here.

I am proud to say I've been rocking this ID ever since and only have a moderately sized collection of stupid posts that make me cringe when I think back to them.

Stoney likes this.
  6. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I can't remember who did it, but one of my favourite posts here was someone blowing up a poster by telling him that he was no Charlie Pierce. The poster in question was, in fact, Charlie Pierce.

7. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I think I regret the day I did a google search on Penn State presentment and found SJ.com and one hell of a lively discussion. Then I lurked for nine months. I should have just gone away and never gotten a userID.

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I suppose my insistence that Tiger would break Jack's majors record, an argument I carried through, oh, 2016, probably qualifies. @Double Down and Simon Cowbell tried saying otherwise. Except....I still sort of believe it.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm going to be very me and say I don't want amnesty for a damn thing.

Maybe for some of the shitty things I've said to BYH and a few others here. Not everybody, though. Some of y'all deserve every nasty word and more. :)

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Cowbell was such a long time ago (wasn't he?) that at that time not too many had written Tiger off completely.

11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

Nobody on this board straddled the line between awesome guy with whom you'd share a bachelor pad and complete lunatic you might need a restraining order against quite like Cowbell. Is he still around in some form?

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Around here? Not sure. Alive and well? Indeed. We communicate now and then.

Draft saved Draft deleted