1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

sj.com alum now has a nationally syndicated radio show

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Mar 18, 2015.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

OK, he was right about the Internet crushing newspapers, and that much of that would be done by bootstrappers. But he also was a prime example of the Net's rampant emptiness and snarkiness. The time he talked about being bugged by his girlfriend on the phone while he was at a strip joint was an sj classic.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Not the one I expected. But even better. I enjoy TBL and Deadspin for what they are, and congrats to him on his success.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

He's a douche.

That he is seemingly successful is a credit to him (although I have always doubted how financially successful that blog is, and the numbers that have come out about Deadspin and others tend to confirm my suspicion that those guys are just grinding it out like everyone else).

However, his site and others like it represent a lot of what is wrong with sports media too. And you can't separate their success from the fact that they have dumbed down the whole thing and devalued thought.

Ace likes this.
  4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

No question. Like I said, I visit the sites, but I am only looking for humorous video clips and entertainment. Unfortunately, some folks go there looking for news. And they ain't breaking a lot of news. And it doesn't seem to be as much now, but they used to "break" a lot of wrong news.

5. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

You obviously feel inferior and desire his life and career.

AshyLarry and LongTimeListener like this.
  6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Don't we all?

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

No kidding.

What's to like about any of our lives?

8. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I have an XBox. That keeps me going.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You can do lots of things to make money if you are willing to lower yourself in the cesspool. Catering to the lowest common denominator of sports fans is one easy way if you want to be mean, stupid and sexist.

But to be honest, I don't really have a problem with any posters past or present. Enjoy the give and take.

10. $$$$ $$$$ $$$$ $$$$
    The money they make is obscene.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I really fail to understand how people can listen to 99 percent of the sports talk shows out there. And why they pay the hosts so much.

The callers seem like shut ins and crazy people.

12. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

There was a ton of resentment among the old guard, both here and in real life, because Jason tried to do something different. There was even more when he succeeded. That's actually pretty typical in any industry.

Good guy in my experience, and that's all I can go on. Great to see him succeeding.

Gold likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted