1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ.COM All-purpose dating thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, Jul 24, 2008.

1. slytiger

slytiger Member

Sorry to disappoint but I'm off the market. I've already found my perfect love.

I'm not sure what the trouble is with my message, I pretty much just paraphrased Barbara De Angelis. Tell me one thing you are looking for and I'm pretty confident it could be categorized in either column but I probably shouldn't have given such a glib explanation when it deserves a few thousand words to be articulated correctly.

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Prepper, listen to ducky: it's for the girls to hash out. That said, I think it's pretty uncool of the best friend to seek you out right after the breakup. Personally, I don't know if I'd want to be involved with someone who treats their best friends that way. But you are in the clear here.

Re: dates ... dating is about risk, as there is absolutely risk in putting yourself out there. If you can't take the chance, you shouldn't be dating. Don't punk out by trying to stage a low-risk "friend" date. And always have a plan: there is nothing worse than someone who wants to get together and then it becomes a game of "What do you want to do?" "I don't know, what do you want to do?" "I don't know." Weak. If you initiate the date, you have a plan. Coffee is fine. Lunch is fine. Dinner is fine.

And I still appreciate dates even though I've been with my significant other a few years. Even though he's the person I do laundry with or do go shoe shopping with, it's still nice to have a date to look forward to and get dolled up for.

And slytiger, what are you, like 17?

3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

After reading a couple pages of this, I find myself having a new appreciation for being an old, married gal.

:)

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

They are the type I most like to date!

5. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Ragu, I'm leaving that one alone.

A friend and I were actually discussing this not too long ago. I said, if something were to happen to Mr. Rosie - God forbid! - I would remain single. The thought of going back into the dark abyss of dating after all these years (of training Mr. Rosie), well, it gives me hives.

That said, Prepper, go for it, but take it very slow. It may be MANY years since I was 20, but I vaguely remember 20 as being a bubble-heady, not too bright time.

6. slytiger

slytiger Member

Close but way off, please don't compare shoe shopping with doing laundry, shoe shopping is an event.

I'm sure you're an emotionally and socially intelligent woman but unfortunately there are a lot of women who aren't, we all appreciate dates and romance but personally I would use the non-date date to get to know her before pursuing her romantically.

I am much better discussing this topic in person rather than an internet forum, actually I have buy some new shoes, I know this pretty cool shop downtown, they generally cater to women but they just received a shipment of men's shoes from Spain. Care to come along I need a womans advice on which ones look the best.

7. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Gawd, I wish we could ban specific people from specific threads.

"Are you there, Moddy? It's me, Margaret..."

8. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

And that right there tells me you're only interested in me as a friend. It's not that hard. If you want to date me, take me out on a date and get to know me that way. Don't fucking take me shopping. That's what my friends do.

You really are dense sometimes.

9. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Holy hell, that was outstanding.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Holy hell, Quacks. That. Is. Awesome.

11. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Sig worthy, even.

12. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member