1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ.COM All-purpose dating thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, Jul 24, 2008.

1. slytiger

slytiger Member

Um men don't talk about other men's shoe sizes

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Wasn't asking. Just saying, that's the only reason I can see how that might be a good idea, if you have feet worth showing off.

3. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

This.

4. slytiger

slytiger Member

It doesn't have to be shoes, just something without the pretention of a date. Nothing more than two people spending the day together having a good time, chatting and having fun. I like it because if you take a woman on a traditional date, there are too many presumptions. This way if you choose to put her in the friend zone it's a much easier transition.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I'm curious what the ladies think of this ... I've had several girls who I took out on legit dates say, 'God, no guy has ever taken me on a real date before. Thank you.'

6. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

A 'real' date, in the traditional sense of the word, would be getting picked up at the door, taken out for dinner and a show, etc. etc. etc., yes?

If so then I had my first 'real' date this summer and I'm 38.

I don't want to speak for everyone but I think we've grown up in an era of 'hookups,' rather than dates. We've so ingrained to the idea of dragging someone off from the club that we've lost the concept of traditional dating.

And, yeah, that's sad.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I don't mind going shopping with a guy, but I prefer "real" dates, at least the first few times. It might be nicer for you, slytiger, but as a girl, it says to me you take me seriously as a potential mate. I mean my guy friends take me shopping so they don't look like fools when they get dressed of a morning, any guy who's dating me had better be doing something more than my guy friends.

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Don't you do the non-traditional stuff -- shopping, etc -- once you know the person a little better?

Personally, I stick with dinner/coffee/etc. for the first two dates or so and then move onto something else, like an outdoor activity, on the third.

Then again, I'm 29, single and have had minimal luck in the romance department.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Well, yea, but it takes a while. I'm fairly traditional (other than I pay my own way) in the dating department. Movies, dinner, concerts, games or coffee for the first month or so.

Hell, it takes about a month before I'll let a guy pick me up. You don't need to know where I live unless it's going to be a real relationship.

10. Double J

Double J Active Member

Yep.

Good luck!!! :)

11. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

This.

The whole 'non-real-date-date' is a HUGE reason why there are so many mis-communicated 'friend zone' issues.

That's not to say that girls won't develop feelings for guy friends (or vice versa), but both parties are more likely to be scared of 'ruining the friendship' by saying something if the line isn't drawn very early.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I can't tell you how many times I've gone to take a girl on a real date, or a legit date, or whatever you call it and she thinks its a friendly get together. Lots of miscommunication.

Draft saved Draft deleted