1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ.COM All-purpose dating thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, Jul 24, 2008.

1. slytiger

slytiger Member

I enjoyed doing anything that was not in the dinner movie mold. I call them non-date, dates. When I was interested in a woman, I would give her a call and invite her to join me while I went shoe shopping.

We would spend a relaxed afternoon having fun. By then we would know if we wanted to spend more time with each other, if so, I would suggest some drinks and dancing that night. If not then we would both go on our way without the charade of a formal date.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Well, what woman could resist helping a man shop for shoes.

I could see the benefit if you have really large feet. :)

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I had the same thought, but I couldn't come up with one.

4. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

http://www.ideasforafundate.com/

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

But when did a 300-pound man claim to be a Size 4?

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

So what are the rules about dating girls that dated a friend?

My long time friend Lauren and I have sort of been hitting it off lately. I'm apprehensive to let it go any further because Lauren previously dated a friend of mine. This friend and I were pretty close in high school and college but after graduation we had a bit of a falling out. However, we have many mutual friends such as roomates and have learned to tolerate each other.

Anyway, Lauren dated this friend for like 2 years on and off. I think I may be in violation of man code if I let it go anything beyond friendship. Although, Lauren is really hot and she's trying pretty hard to win me over.

I'm afraid of what my friends might think. And oh yeah, she used to be best friends with my ex-girlfriend. This is a dangerous situation. A couple close buddies of mine, who are friends with me, Lauren, and Lauren's ex say I should go for it.

Please discuss.

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

It reads like you're not friends with her ex-boyfriend anymore. So what's the issue?

8. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Well, we're friends with all of the same people. His roommate is good friends with me, my best friend hangs out with him a lot. So when things like football road trips, weddings, parties come about, we're both there. Always.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Go for it.

Don't give it a second thought.

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

re: dating girls friends have dated

RickStain goes to college, gets a date with a girl on the school paper, ends up in the "friend zone."
    New friend means entry into her circle of friends: a couple and a single guy.
    Single guy meets woman, begins dating, things escalate, gets engaged.
    Single guy cheats on fiancee, she dumps him.
    Circle off friends realize we all like her way more than him.
    ... (several years pass)...
    RickStain marries her.

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That's actually pretty similar to a story about one of my best friends.

We had a girl in our group who was pretty fun when we first met her, though she grew more annoying as the years went on. She brought a friend into the group who was awesome and eventually began dating my friend.

Myself and another member of the group had a falling out with Girl A within like a week of our friends beginning to date and Girl B essentially had to make a choice. My friend (and by extension, us), or Girl A.

She chose wisely.

They're now married.

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

You're my brother-in-law, right? Get off my messageboard, dammit! :D

Seriously, unless he is your bestest buddy in the entire world ever, don't let the fact they went out stop you. (and even if he is your bestest buddy, I'd still recommend asking her out).

Draft saved Draft deleted