1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ Catholics, a little help please?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, May 18, 2009.

1. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Sign of the cross is not a Catholic only thing. Episcopals do it, rather regularly too.

2. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Thunder would roll in my family ... lightning strikes ... the whole nine yards.

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

So Garth Brooks would show up?

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Re: no. 6. So it's ok for Catholics to fall asleep during the sermon? (Damn hard not to in ours with Father Beatadeadhorse.)

5. You know what?
    If you want to take communion, and you feel like you can do it in good conscience, and in solidarity with your fellow Christians, go ahead.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

True Catholics know how to fake it -- keep your eyes open and nod knowingly every 30 seconds or so, while still drifting through mid-level REM sleep. Be careful about the mouth dropping open and drooling.

7. For years, Catholic priests were not even offered a course in seminary on how to preach. In addition, since the scripture is the less important part of the Mass as opposed to the liturgy of the Eucharist -- aka The Second Half -- they never learned much about preaching from the text, either. 'Tis a pity.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

Yeah, my mother used to try to convince me of that, too.
    One more myth of Catholicism.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

nice.....

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Indeed. Another problem with non-kneeling non-Catholics is that the folks behind you who are kneeling have their faces buried in the back of your head.

So this Catholic says, even if it's a little taxing, kneel for the two parts (eucharistic prayer and during communion) when the rest of the congregation is kneeling.

11. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

My wife tried to do this at my Mom's funeral, and apparently looked so guilty the priest said, "You're not Catholic, are you?" She said no, and he gave her a blessing instead.

Never heard of a rosary service, but somehow I got through 12 years of Catholic school -- including the mandatory altar boy bit -- without ever saying a rosary.

For some reason, at least in our parish, it was more of a female thing.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Yeah, but Communion is supposed to be an 'earned' sacrament in the Catholic Church -- you're supposed to be baptized first, then partake in the sacrament of penance, THEN be admitted to receive communion.

Draft saved Draft deleted