1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ Catholics, a little help please?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, May 18, 2009.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Rosary service is probably 15-20 minutes tops. It might also be the longest 15-20 minutes of your life. Feel free to zone out. Let the old, dedicated few say the prayers.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

Every now and then boom and I agree completely on something

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Seems a good time as any for a Jim Gaffigan clip.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Screw 'em. As long as you are respectful, you should be fine. It doesn't hurt if you can find somebody to ask what a non-Catholic normally does (sit or stand) while the Catholics kneel. You should never feel you have to do something you are uncomfortable with.

I was a little nervous about this when I was the best man in a Catholic wedding last year, but the priest already knew he was stuck with a Jewish best man. Two minute conversation. I asked. He told me to sit. I passed that bit of info on to the Mrs. and all was good.

5. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

While it has been almost 20 years since I've set foot back into a Catholic Church (Mom's rule: Get confirmed and do whatever the hell you want. Fine. I did and never went back.), I'll admit that a rosary service can be a very peaceful, meditative and spiritual experience.

And jeans are fine. Just leave the the Atlanta Falcons jersey at home. That's a dealbreaker.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Something tells me this one is going right in vault, next to the John Kerry quotes and the Burger Queen. 8)

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Geez - It's so noteworthy I am debating the idea of adding to my sig.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Non-Catholics at Catholic services:

1) Hats off inside the church. (Men in particular.)
    2) Don't take communion.
    3) Don't kneel; sit and appear to pay attention. (Resist the temptation to throw your arms out across the pew and kick your heels up on the pew in front of you.) Stand when the rest of the congregation does.
    4) Don't make the sign of the cross (a particularly Catholic custom).
    5) A brief nod and "peace be with you" is fine for the greeting.
    6) Try not to fall asleep during the sermon.
    7) Don't worry about old ladies giving you dirty looks. You're not Catholic; you don't have to pretend that you are. Acting respectful and dignified during the service is fine.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

As a non-Catholic, I've always kneeled at the appropriate time when I've attended Mass. My thinking was prayer is prayer and even different denominations should be able to do that together.

10. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

You're pretty much good to go, Inky. You won't have any problems. We did the rosary/wake the evening before my father's funeral back in 2002.

I don't recall the rosary part being terribly long. In fact, for the wake, several people -- me and most of my siblings (parents had nine kids), along with extended family, friends, etc. -- got up and told some great stories about experiences with my dad. That was much longer, but really cool. Lots of laughs, really loosened the place up, and it was something that couldn't be done the next day at the funeral Mass. And one of the best stories came from a brother-in-law (my oldest sister's husband), who is Jewish and was completely at ease and delivered the best lines of the night. It was awesome, as odd as that might sound in dealing with the loss of my dad.

Sounds like you've already experienced some of that with the Saturday gathering, and you'll get some more tomorrow night.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

When time to stand from a kneel it's important that you pop up quickly and keep your feet moving. Look straight ahead at alter. Priests like it when you show effort and hustle.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

My mom, grandma, and every other person in my family would disown me if I wore jeans to church.

Draft saved Draft deleted