1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ Catholics, a little help please?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, May 18, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If you're Catholic, jeans are cool. No jorts, though.

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Just a guess, but I'd put money on God not caring what you wear to church. If you go, if you believe ... that's the important part.

3. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

Mom? Is that you?

4. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

Not sure what catholic services you've attended, but every Mass I go to we kneel twice, and don't sit your ass on the pew, kneel!

Yesterday I was at one of my Godson's first communion, ....it was a long service, and, the Priest messed up.....he forgot the "Peace be with you" handshake segment, weird.

And, I've never been to or even heard of a Rosary service. ???

5. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

In times of concern over contagious diseases (H1N1), some churches decide to forgo that part. You may have missed the announcement.

6. doctorx

doctorx Member

Heck fire, we just doubled up on the handshakes a few weeks ago. Everybody is supposed to greet one another just before Mass, too.

As far as the kneeling business goes, most people I know don't mind if non-Catholics (or certainly the infirm) don't join everybody else in kneeling.

7. My advice is to skip the Rosary service if possible. I always duck out when the priest is about to start.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

been to a few catholic weddings and worship services.

never once have i crossed myself or kneeled during prayer. got ugly looks from little old ladies every damn time, too.

9. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Same here.

10. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

ohhhhhh, that makes sense. I guess I missed that announcement.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

There is no dress code. Wear what you would normally wear to a wake.
    There also won't be any up-and-down. If it's at the funeral parlor, the priest will simply stand up front by the casket and leading the praying of the rosary with everyone seated. Should take about 10 minutes.

As to never wear jeans to church---what are you, crazy?

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

My experience is that rosary service coincides with wake. Its a simple deal when the priest arrives he leads every one in rosary. It's not something you should feel obligated to stay for. Its a good time to slip out for a beer.

Draft saved Draft deleted