1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ Catholics, a little help please?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, May 18, 2009.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I've attended countless Catholic weddings, christenings and even six or seven midnight masses. I've never attended a rosary service the night before a funeral.

What is it? Just a recitation of the rosary led by the priest?

And what do you wear? Is it less formal than the funeral? Slacks and a shirt instead of a suit? Would nice jeans and a blazer work?

2. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

It's a prayer service. Probably just people praying the rosary. I guess the priest would be there. I'm Catholic and have been to lots of Catholic funerals but never to a rosary service. I'm sure slacks and a shirt would be fine but I wouldn't wear jeans even if they were nice.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Dress shirt/ dress slacks / blazer is way to go. Tie does not hurt. If priest leads it will be easy to follow along. You won't need to know the steps of rosary prior. You can fake what you don't know.

Typically rosary is said at wake - usually at funeral home

4. Inky_Wretch

So is this kind of a Catholics-only sort of deal? Will a protestant be out of place?

5. Boom_70

Not at all - its a Christian service. You will be more than welcome. the important thing is that you are paying your respects not whether you can say the Our Father 10 times fast.

If it's an Irish wake - all the better - you can drink/ tell stories and have a few good laughs and crys.

6. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

No, if you were close to the person, you're never out of place. Lots of non-Catholics even attend Mass. They just can't participate in the sacraments without being converted. (Communion, Confession, etc). You'll be fine. I'd just go and make an appearance.

7. Inky_Wretch

That was Saturday night. And another one is planned for after the funeral on Tuesday.

8. Boom_70

Just don't make the Lupica mistake at funeral - when the offertory is brought up to alter - it is not wine and cheese.

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Never wear jeans to church.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Probably not. I'm orthodox and we do the same thing.

I don't recall ever hearing an announcement that all protestants leave the room or anything.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Two things you can count on...

1. This won't be short. Every Catholic event I have ever attended was longer than I thought it was going to last.
    2. I hope your knees are ready for a workout. Down and up. Down and up. Down and up.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I'm Catholic, and I've never heard of a rosary service.

Draft saved Draft deleted