1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ Book Club: The ESPN Book

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PCLoadLetter, Jun 5, 2011.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

What does it say about Simmons? I'd always heard he was one of the more likable people there, but then again, he lives in Calif.

2. blacktitleist

blacktitleist Member

I'm about 200 pages in. Slow going for me thus far, though the introduction to Stu Evey fascinated me.

I think I'm about to get to the meaty stuff.

So far, not as compelling as the Saturday Night Live book by these guys. Hopefully, it will pick up some steam, which I think it will.

3. billikens

billikens Member

As far as what other said about him, nothing really new. He's a diva but he's incredibly successful. One editor says making changes to a Keith Olbermann piece was easier than making changes on anything Simmons writes. And Chris Berman wouldn't know him if they were sitting next to each other. That said, he's also given a lot of credit for the 30 for 30 series.

But Simmons blasts away to Tirico for the way he treated Kornheiser on MNF. There aren't a lot of people who work at ESPN right now that were willing to take shots at their current colleagues, but Simmons really went after Tirico and got a small dig in at Berman.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, I thought 30 for 30 was Simmons' idea or something like that...

I must admit, I didn't like Simmons until I heard him on Carolla's podcast a couple years ago. Then I went back and listened to Simmons' podcast and I can appreciate where he comes from more than I did before.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yes! Still only 3/4 or so through, but I forgot about Jim Gray. I always wonder what someone like that is thinking. Can't they hear the words coming out of their mouths?

And I agree about the ESPYs. I don't think I have ever watched the ESPYs. Which tells me that I am either out of the mainstream on this, or the network places way too much emphasis on its importance to itself. I'd have thought the various NFL deals and the marketing of SportsCenter, and of course the dual revenue income stream, are about a gazillion times more important when measuring the success of ESPN. But they keep coming back to the ESPYs.

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Jim Gray comes across as the biggest tool in the book by a pretty wide margin. (A friend of mine has known Gray since Gray first got into the business, and absolutely hates his guts.)

I didn't think Simmons came across poorly -- he just came across as a gigantic aggravation if you're in management. He doesn't agree to edits and generally thinks the restrictions he's given are stupid and counter-productive.

Let me put it this way -- three of my favorite ESPN people over the years are Simmons, Kornheiser and Olbermann, and they all come off as enormous pains in the ass for management to deal with. Simmons pretty clearly models himself after Kornheiser, and they have the same disdain for anyone telling them what to do. (By contrast, Olbermann just comes across as a brilliant but miserable person, which isn't exactly a revelation.)

When Simmons interviewed Miller on his podcast he opened the interview with "I really wish I never talked to you. I should have never answered the phone." He particularly regretted teeing off on Tirico's work with Kornheiser -- not because he felt bad about it, but because he figured he'd catch a bunch of shit from management.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

The only thing I can remember from various glimpses of the ESPYs is that Jennie Finch was FAR better looking than any of the starlets they brought in to dress up the event.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Ditto. I refuse to pay for it, but I'll get it at the library eventually and put it ahead of a lot of other books on my nightstand that don't deserve to be behind tales of Berman.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'll sell you mine for 15 bucks...
    Was OK. Nice gosspy insight, bashing when it needs to be bashed (I punched the dog when Kornheiser dismissed Albom's troubles at the Final Four), double standards...

10. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

It's a nice historical record of it all. Some of the characters involved in it seem like only the stuff of fiction, like Stu Evey. I haven't read one blurb from Berman that didn't make him come off as a pompous ass. In addition, Tirico's statement about the harassment stuff is telling, too.

I haven't gotten to the MNF stuff yet, but I generally share the sentiment Tirico reportedly had about the direction of the broadcast. And if that meant Kornheiser was frozen out, so be it. He didn't belong.

11. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Might have a plagiarism issue from an ESPN column written Sunday by Woody Paige.

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/woody-plaige-espner-stole-quotes-from-story-29741

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

... annnnnnnd . . . he's out at second, by twenty feet . . .

Draft saved Draft deleted