1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ 2009-09 Coaching Carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by terrier, Mar 14, 2009.

1. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

One of my friends went to the h.s. summer program at Duke in the mid-90s (and later went there and cheered for b-ball and football) and was in classes with Greg Newton, who was busted for cheating at Duke during their lean years. Not a super-genius. She also acknowledged that Duke was tough as hell to get into but very, very easy to do well at. Teachers would bend over backward to help you succeed, which is a great thing if you're paying beaucoup bucks to go there.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

It won't be Beilein either. They are giving him everything he wants. New practice facility, arena upgrades and a lot of money.

3. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Admittedly not a big blip on the radar, but Kevin Bromley is out at Cal Poly after 8 1/2 seasons:

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/sports/story/653534.html

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

My friend played football for Harvard and said the same thing; they want you to graduate. It looks like shit on the books if any student does not pull all four years.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

The money statement's right there. Not an easy school to get into, but once you're there - if you REALLY care - you won't get left behind.

As for Dave Leitao, the move was at least a year early. Craig Littlepage might not want to slip up again given the Pete Gillen saga, followed by Leitao's tenure. He might follow the next failed coach out the exit door.

Can't see Tubby leaving Minnesota now. Same with Beilein in Ann Arbor. It could be Jeff Capel if he really wants to either return to the state where his father had plenty of success or return to the ACC - or the aforementioned Mr. Grant (sorry Moddy ... could be very tough to keep him).

6. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Thread bump...
    Couple more names being thrown around at Boston U.: ex-Providence coach Tim Welsh and UConn assistant Andre Lafleur.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Michael Wilbon wrote a pretty good column on a certain coach I know and love:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/20/AR2009032003689.html

My "Google alert" today showed me lots of stuff that said he's Alabama's leading candidate.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Hate to say it but that would be a great hire for Bama.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Why do you hate to say it?

10. 93Devil

I would hate to see him there as well.

Bama and Georgia do not seem like cherry jobs. Who knows, maybe those football schools can have their basketball programs turned around like Donovan did with Florida.

I think he has a better chance of having a consistant top-10 at Virginia. I know that sounds crazy, but being the only black head coach in the ACC once Sid Lowe is sent packing could be a very big recruiting tool. Grant would own Richmond, Virginia Beach and a good portion of D.C. Maybe he would lose some players to Tech, but Moddy, I don't see it unless UVA won't admit the player.

At Georgia, he would be battling the southern ACC schools for players along with Florida. At Alabama, he might have a better recruiting region, but he is still battling some good SEC coaches and Florida for many players.

11. Only black coach in the ACC? Um ... Al Skinner, Paul Hewitt, Leonard Hamilton, Frank Haith, Oliver Purnell ... dude a MAJORITY of the coaches in the league right now are black.

12. 93Devil

Massaschuttes, Georgia, Florida, Florida, South Carolina...

Nothing in Virginia, Maryland or North Carolina.

All Grant would need to do is control Virginia and pluck the odd kid out of Florida where he already has ties.

Draft saved Draft deleted