1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SJ 2009-09 Coaching Carousel thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by terrier, Mar 14, 2009.

1. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Houston Fancher resigns at Appalachian State.

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2009/mar/16/fancher-out-appalachian-state-coach/sports/

2. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

I remember him making an impassioned speech after the team lost in in the '05 conference tournament. With the new chancellor in the back of the room (and a search going on for the next AD), Houston went on and on about how this is where he wanted to be and for people like him, coaching Appalachian State was a destination job and not a detour.
    I never really had problems with him, but I am also not surprised.

3. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Jeff Goodman reports, not surprisingly, that it was not Houston's decision:
    http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/9344708/Source:-Appalachian-St.-parts-ways-with-coach

4. Chef

Chef Active Member

I'll lay 5:3 Billy Clyde isn't at UK this time next year.

5. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Based on what he's done the last three years at Duquesne (plus dealing with those five players shot shortly after he arrived), Ron Everhart's gotta get some run for a job like Virginia. He inherited a cesspool and turned it into a Jacuzzi.

6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

He's a Hokie, though...I know the train ran southwest when Ricky Stokes was in Blacksburg, but the Wahoo faithful may not be so forgiving.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, my (uninformed) money is on Capel or Tubby.

8. How good a job is Virginia, really?
    Good league, decent facilities, but terminally and permanently middle-of-the-pack, isn't it? Tubby's closer to winning his league now than he would be at UVa for 10 years.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

His daughter and grandchildren used to live down the street from me. Last summer they all moved to Michigan.

I don't see him uprooting for the Virginia job. Compared to Michigan, it's just not that good of a job, IMHO.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Not if he has another year like this one he won't be. The idiots at that school are getting what they deserve for treating Tubby so badly.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Something seems wrong at Virginia. My neighbor is a local high school football coach who has some serious D-I talent going through his system, and he says recruiting trips to Virginia just are FUBARed by the Wahoo's approach.

Maybe it's just the football program doing this, but he says UVA will try to tell a kid how great of an education UVA will give them and how much money they will make out of college with a UVA degree. He says you save that speech for the parents. You tell the kids about Chris Long, The Brick Shaw and the Barber twins playing in the NFL. He also has a freeking UVA flag flying in front of his house, so you know where he would like them to go to school.

I don't think UVA makes too many consessions for grades coming into school or once the student is there.

I also hate to say it, but up here you have a lot of white ACC coaches. Sid Lowe is such a wreck, he does not even count. To make recruiting headway against the UNCs and Dukes of the ACC, I would almost look stronger at a minority coach than a white coach.

VCU's Grant would be a heck of a fit.

12. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

You may not have to wait long.

Draft saved Draft deleted