1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sixty-six runs ... in just more than an inning!?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CentralIllinoisan, Apr 18, 2008.

1. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080417/od_nm/japan_score_dc

Scarier than Gorzirra!

2. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

The could have come back!

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Shit. I'm glad most of the ball I've covered up here has a 10 run mercy rule per inning.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

1.) Daisuke Matsuzaka scoffs at the softie who asked out after only 250 pitches.

2.) How do you translate "You only cover us when we lose by 66 runs!" into Japanese?

5. statrat

statrat Member

How on earth do you allow 66 runs in an inning and a third? For that matter, how terrible must the four guys who actually made outs feel?

6. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

How do you not change pitchers at some point?

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Whenever I see these stories I want to know how many walks there were. A ton, I bet. Even if the guys were blasting the balls, you'd think they gets some outs on an infield fly rule or something.

And if I were they coach, I would not worry about ruining this pitcher's arm. I think it's beyond ruin.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Hell, one high school team I was covering had only 10 players available. They pulled their third baseman to pitch after their starter coughed up eight runs in one inning plus. They ended up bringing in the first baseman to pitch the seventh.

It'd have been amusing to see how far that game could have gone had the guy not thrown in the towel. But seriously, I have to wonder why the pitcher was allowed to throw 250 pitches in the game. In this country, you have pitch count limits.

9. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

A high school pitcher around here tossed 140 pitches in a game that his team needed to take first in district. He got the win and he came out the next game and tossed 100 more. Yet, he didn't give up 66 runs. His second start was a two hitter.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I covered one recently who threw 157 in four-plus.

11. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Good grief ... every kid on that team must have been Timmy Lupus ...

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted