1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Six papers descend into CNHI hell

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OTD, Oct 27, 2006.

1. sartrean

sartrean Member

For the Good Doctor,

what on earth is Fear and Loathing supposed to mean? I never read the book, but I saw the movie. It was hilarious, but I can understand why the critics didn't get it.

Anyway, just wanted to know.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

It was an attempt write about the counter-culture movement and how it related to the stringent attitudes of mainstream America at the time (1971). There's more to it than that, but that's the quick answer.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

CNHI buys Dow Jones papers

A buddy of mine works in Sunbury, and I'm afraid he's about to get ass-raped.

http://www.dailyitem.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061028/NEWS/610280317/-1/news10

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Re: CNHI buys Dow Jones papers

Mea culpa. Just looked under unread topics and didn't see anything.

And you're right, H_S.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I know a copy editor in Sunbury, and I'll make sure he's aptly warned about CNHI's ineptness.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: CNHI buys Dow Jones papers

yeah, that was pretty bad.. hell, it's on its second page...

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Slappy, we're not all as wonderful as you.

And thanks for the merge, mods.

9. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I know someone who works at one of the newly-acquired papers.

One of the publishers knows a VP at CNHI and says things are different now. And that there is a new CEO with a newspaper background.

Could be just the publisher drinking the CNHI Kool-Aid.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I have to say, most of the evils supposedly exposed here I've never experienced. Maybe my individual paper protects us better, but I've worked for worse companies.

The one complaint I have is the unwillingness to put money into capital improvements, like new computers, etc. But that is (allegedly) coming around because the company realizes its wasting more money on old equipment trying to adapt to the web-world of podcasts, streaming video than it would on new stuff. We'll see, though.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Somehow, I dont think a group of 10-25K papers are going to fret podcasts.. Ogden, CNHI... smaller JRC papers

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

In a few weeks, I'll bet that scores of people from these towns will be flocking to the Robert Trent Jones golf courses.

Draft saved Draft deleted