1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Six papers descend into CNHI hell

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OTD, Oct 27, 2006.

1. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

Guys, don't know much about CNHI. Former JRC refugee, what is their M.O.?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

There's a thread about it somewhere. Someone aptly summed them up as JRC's retarded southern cousin. Their MO is cheap, cheap, cheap. Unlike JRC, however, there's no one figurehead (Jelenic) to play the role of the Spawn of Satan.

3. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

In my experience, it was a crappy little chain with dimwitted, penny-pinching morons in positions of power. Granted, it was my first newspaper job, but I existed just above the level of abject poverty when i started out there.

4. Ira_Schoffel

Ira_Schoffel Member

Hey, I resemble that remark. Bastard.

5. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

hurts don't it?

6. Ira_Schoffel

Ira_Schoffel Member

Whatever. You're just bitter because I wouldn't tell that guy (in Louisville or wherever the hell he was) that you were a minority. You gotta earn your jobs, white bread.

7. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

What kind of reference won't let someone mistakenly believe you're a minority so you can get the job? A shitty one, that's what. Thanks for nothing pal.

By the way, I was just telling that story the other day. Guy in the SID's office asks me to tell it to his co-workers sometimes.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

This took a fascinating turn.

9. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

it's not that fascinating. this dude was all ready to give me a job when he thought I was a minority because my name sounds minority-ish. And he told my reference, the esteemed Mr. Schoffel, about it on the phone when discussing my qualifications. Thought it would be nice to add to the diversity in the newsroom. Unfortunately, Ira thought it best to inform him that wasn't the case.

10. Ira_Schoffel

Ira_Schoffel Member

"I was just wondering (awkward pause) ... uh, his last name sounds ... uh ... kind of ... um, Asian. Is he ... (awkward pause)?"

(laughing) "Noooo, he's not Asian. He's a white guy from Alabama."

"Oh, OK. Well, thanks for the help."

(Dial tone)

11. djc3317

djc3317 Guest

well, things worked out for the best in the end. (and just in case someone from my current employer reads this, it happened before I was hired by the place I am now).

and, to get the thread back on topic, thankfully I'm not at a CNHI paper anymore.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

It still is...

Draft saved Draft deleted