1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Six papers descend into CNHI hell

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OTD, Oct 27, 2006.

1. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

2. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Oh, man. A friend is editor of one of those papers. Poor bastard.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Let me echo Frank. A good friend works at one of those papers. Fortunately, he's already looking to get out.

Too bad about The News Times too. That was always a solid small-town paper.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

My first boss now works at the Record-Eagle and I know a few people there... It prides itself on being THE paper in NW Michigan... poor bastards...

5. lapdog

lapdog Member

Well, at least they didn't get sold to JRC.

Sort of like Czechoslovakia and Poland in 1938: your choices are to be overrun by Hitler, or Stalin. :eek: :eek:

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No, in a sense it's worse.
    Worse you ask?
    Yeah. These Northern papers aren't going to know what hit them. And, in Traverse City's case, the area's affluent aren't going to stand for it for long.

7. Keystone

Keystone Member

Sunbury is a good paper with good people. Sorry to hear the news.

8. lapdog

lapdog Member

Well, what are they gonna do? Oakland County, Mich., has some of the highest per capita income in the nation, and they're putting up with the JRC ass-raping. I mean, everybody can't cancel their subscriptions all at once; it takes at least a couple of months to run all your readers off.

9. ARD

ARD Member

A friend of mine is editor at one of those papers, too. Yikes.

10. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Of course, the only real competition TC has in NW Michigan would be Manistee and Ludington. And TC doesn't even hit those areas very hard.

11. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

how is it that chni can afford to be buying papers? i thought they were having problems with financing on quite a few of the papers they already own. did i just have bad info?

12. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

well, in the narrow knowledge I have, they've accrued the finances to do on this kind of thing because they're so horrifyingly cheap when it comes to anything involving, you know, people who work there.

Draft saved Draft deleted