1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Six-on-six girls basketball?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by doctor x, Sep 26, 2007.

1. doctor x

doctor x Member

Anybody remember a brand of girls basketball in which each team had six on the floor at a time, but two from each team always watching from beyond midcourt? Was like that in Florida back in the 1960s and I understand some states still played that form of basketball until relatively recently.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Iowa was 6-on-6 until at least the late 1980s, perhaps early 90s. It was 3-on-3 on each end and there were some girls who set some outrageous scoring marks. Think about the poor girls who only played defense their entire careers, what fun that would have been. My uncle coached college basketball, and when he'd get girls from Iowa, he'd often have to teach them one end of t he court, either offense or defesne. But one of his best players ever was from Iowa and ended up being a great all-around player. And the Iowa girls state tournament was a huge deal when it was 6-on-6.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Wasn't Oklahoma 6-on-6 until late '90s?

4. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I don't know about that.
    But, the NBA is 1-on-1.

5. OJ1414

OJ1414 Member

1995 was the last year Oklahoma had 6-on-6 girls basketball. I'm pretty sure Oklahoma and Iowa were the last to play 6-on-6.

6. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Weren't there also some odd rules about dribbling, as in you could only dribble for three or four steps before you had to pass?

I may be misremembering.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

No. I don't remember exactly what they were, but dribbling was strictly controlled, and wasn't allowed in girls basketball until the 1950s (I think, could be off on the year).

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

As a native Iowan, this is what I remember.

You could dribble twice then you had to pass or shoot.

After a made basket or free throw the official would toss the ball to midcourt and an offensive player from the other team would essentially "inbound" the ball on that end of the floor. She wouldn't stand out of bounds though. She'd stand on the court just on her side of the center court line.

On a missed shot the defensive team had to advance the ball to mid court and pass it to an offensive teammate on the other side of the center court line.

Draft saved Draft deleted