1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Six Ohio papers to share content

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PHINJ, Mar 21, 2008.

1. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

This is an apparent "EFF U" to AP

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003728802

2. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

3. Interesting to see that when the shoe is on the other foot, few from the newspapers return calls.

4. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

This probably isn't a bad idea. I would like to see some of the smaller papers in the state pool resources and do something like this. Nothing against the AP, but getting something that isn't just a five-inch writethru has to be a plus.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I like this because there's several AP bureaus, including my own, who need to do more than pay lip service to cooperation with its members. What hit home was the Ohio editors complaining about late transmissions and non-coverage of events. In my state, we can't even get our bureau to pick up the 2-5 inch roundups from elsewhere in our conference, a conference that includes two schools in the state.

On the other hand, I don't like this because it's going to be one more domino in newspapers deciding not to throw resources at beats their readers care about. If you're the Plain Dealer, why cover Ohio State when the Dispatch can send it for you? Yeah the coverage is there, but will the coverage be better if the Dispatch has no competition?

6. This move by these Ohio newspapers has the potential to be an expansive development. The AP traces its own roots to something similar when New York papers pooled resources to share first word of the news from Europe from a correspondent in Nova Scotia who would row out to the arriving ships to "catch up on the buzz."

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you're rampagin', dog.

8. chester

chester Member

Actually, Canton, Massillon and Dover/New Philadelphia already have something like that. Of course, all are owned by the same people (Gatehouse), so that makes things a little different.

9. Riddick

Riddick Active Member

i really think this could be a great move. should help provide readers with more statewide coverage. just hope they don't things overboard.

10. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

JRC had an FTP service set up for papers in the Philly cluster to share stories about 10 years ago. It was probably the only decent idea Chuck Pukanecz had. In execution it didn't work that great because there were constant technical problems.

11. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I get faxes from one of the neighboring states, which has its own news service. I wish my state had such a news service other than the Big J-School's wire service where J-school students write the copy. Then we wouldn't be at the mercy of the semester schedule.

I think such collaboration could work if it's done the right way. But I can't see totally ditching wire.

Draft saved Draft deleted