1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Six murdered near Seattle

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Angola!, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

I'm surprised that the officers that initially responded didn't immediately go into standoff mode. One thing I learned in my years living in Seattle: the police in the Pacific NW love a good 10+ hour standoff.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Not to mention the broadcast media with the choppers.

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Asinine statement, I think.
    Explain how it costs more to execute them that to house them for a lifetime.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Every study ever done on the death penalty contains that fact. That you don't know that means you are rather uninformed.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Teams of government-paid lawyers being fed to the defendant's side is what makes those cases run so expensive.

The actual act of putting someone to death is not the expense, it's the lawyering that does it.

6. sportschick

The extra levels of security also make it more expensive. It's not just the lawyering, as much as some would like it to be.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

The security still would be there for high-profile criminals. Even without death row, they probably aren't putting Ted Bundy in with the general prison population.

8. sportschick

Not all death row inmates are Ted Bundy.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Yes, but death-row inmates often have been convicted of high-profile murders. Even without killing them, there still is a security risk to the prison.

10. sportschick

Not nearly as often as you seem to think, Wick. A lot of guys with the death penalty were convicted in much more mundane cases.

11. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Funny, I don't FEEL uninformed.
    Especially the more time I spend with condescending members of this community.

I'm talking about reforming the WHOLE system.
    Where it wouldn't cost as much to go through a proper appeals process.
    We need to clean alot of the fat from the system, and I assure you it wouldn't cost as much to house someone for a lifetime as it would to kill them.
    The U.S. is just too politically-correct to adopt the death penalty as a status-quo thing.
    Too many folks have badgered for, and gotten, rights in this country.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yes, but What Would Hed Bust Do?

Draft saved Draft deleted