1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Six Illinois banks failed today

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NoOneLikesUs, Jul 2, 2009.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I would agree. For the moment.

But if the pace of bank failures increases (and one or two of the giants fail), does the FDIC have trouble covering everyone? And in the instance people lose confidence in the FDIC, what then? Are we looking at massive runs on the banks?

2. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I think they upped the max to $250,000.

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

My bank (Founders) was one of those six. I found out today as I walked back from dropping off my car at Firestone and noticed my bank had a paper sign over the "Founders Bank" sign, and thought it strange that I never got noticed of the bank being sold. There were papers up outside the bank with the press release of the announcement.

Fortunately, I'm in good shape because another bank (called, really, "The Private Bank") arrange to buy its the bank's assets. My debit/credit worked when I filled one van with gas, and got new tires for the other. So it appears I have nothing to worry about.

I'm still taking my checking account out of there, though. I had thought of doing that anyway.

4. Credit unions, people.

5. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

If you choose to put your money in an old mattress, don't throw out the old mattress. [/crossthread]

6. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Turns out all six banks, led by the Founders chain, were owned by the same family. They own two more than remain open and under their control. But for how long?

Draft saved Draft deleted