1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Six Illinois banks failed today

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by NoOneLikesUs, Jul 2, 2009.

1. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Seven in all around the country. More could be coming within hours.

http://www.calculatedriskblog.com/

Happy Fourth!

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Is there a particular reason why this avalanche of failures is happening right now NOLU?

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It would be because whatever government office regulates banks in Illinois decided to shut all of their doors today.

It's a lot for one day, but there have to have been several dozen bank failures this year, so the avalanche has been ongoing, not just a one-day thing. I've seen estimates saying that 1,000 banks might fail in the next few years, so this is probably just the tip of the iceberg.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

End of quarter, maybe.

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

My hometown and my parent's current town are among the tiny little towns in Illinois on that list.

Combined populations right around 10k.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

You usually don't hear about bank failures till the end of business on Friday. Tomorrow's a regular business day as far as I know, so this is unusual.

7. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Three-day weekend, FB.

8. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Yep. A lot of places, including my shop, are closed today for the holiday.

9. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I understand, but when the 4th falls on a weekend, usually it's the following Monday that's the legal holiday.

10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

When the 4th is Saturday, Friday is the legal holiday. When the 4th is Sunday, Monday is the legal holiday.

11. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

The Army is closed for business on Friday.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Unless some damn idiot somewhere in the world decides to start something, in which case the Army will bring in the fireworks show to finish what he started in a way aforementioned damn idiot never even imagined ... right? :D

Draft saved Draft deleted