1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Six dead in mall shooting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mannheimadler, Feb 13, 2007.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Someone used the car registration and licensing analogy earlier. A car can be a deadly weapon if misused, and a gun can be equally deadly (and useful, if used correctly).

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Let me clarify then. I have no problem (at all) with requiring registration of pistols.

I own five pistols, three of them were bought at gun shops. I had a simple background check done and had zero problem with a waiting period. The ATF has all that paperwork and the serial numbers of those pistols on file.

Two others were gifts. I'd register those with the ATF (or local police) if required.

3. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

Um, two questions:

1) You have five pistols?! Are you covering preps in Baghdad?
    2) Who gives guns as gifts?

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

One is a 1911-model that I plan to use in competition at a local range.
    One is a .44 with a scope I use for hunting.
    One is an investment piece that has never been fired nor will be.
    One gift came from my grandfather. It was a pistol he carried on duty overseas. It will never be fired.
    One gift came from a friend. It was owned by his father who recently died. It will never be fired.

All five are double locked, inside a safe and with individual trigger locks.

5. mannheimadler

mannheimadler Member

They identified the shooter as an 18-year-old Bosnian refugee. People are thinking he likely snapped because of past war trauma.

But the motive itself is still not known.

http://www.sltrib.com/ci_5226646

Trolley Square killer's family fled horrors of war
    Sulejman Talovic lost hometown, childhood innocence,
    By AIDA CERKEZ-ROBINSON
    The Associated Press

SARAJEVO, Bosnia-Herzegovina - The Bosnia-born teen who killed five shoppers at a mall in Utah fled the war in his homeland as a child, neighbors and friends said Wednesday.
    Sulejman Talovic, an 18-year-old fatally shot by police after Monday's rampage, was only 4 when he and his mother fled their village of Talovici on foot after Serb forces overran it in 1993, people close to the family told The Associated Press.
    Talovic lived as a refugee in Bosnia from 1993 to 1998, when his family moved to the United States, they said.
    During that period, he spent some time in Srebrenica, the northeastern enclave where up to 8,000 Muslim men and boys were slaughtered in 1995 by Serb forces loyal to late ex-Yugoslav leader Slobodan Milosevic. It was Europe's worst massacre of civilians since World War II.
    Talovic left Srebrenica two years before the massacre, but acquaintances suggested it may have left an indelible mark on the quiet little boy they knew.
    "That's why I'm convinced the war did this in Utah," said Murat Avdic, a friend of the family. "There cannot be any other reason."
    Avdic, 54, said that when the village of Talovici fell, the family split up.
    "Sulejman and his mother walked to Srebrenica, and from there were later evacuated by a U.N. convoy," he said.
    "Suljo, the father, headed over the mountains and forests with his comrades as well. Many left the village, but only a few made it."
    Avdic described the family as "very normal, very decent and quiet."
    Sulejman "arrived in 1993 from Srebrenica on an overloaded U.N. truck full of women and children," said Zijad Cerkic, 33, the family's next-door neighbor in government-controlled Tuzla.
    The father arrived two years later, in 1995, barely escaping the Srebrenica massacre.
    "They were poor. They had lost everything," Cerkic said.
    A 1995 peace agreement ended the war but left their native Talovici in the Serb-controlled half of the country to which the family did not dare return.
    "We know they ended up in the United States. We never saw them again. It was a wonderful family," Cerkic said.
    Apart from eight elderly returnees, Talovici village has been a virtual ghost town since 1993. All but two houses are in ruins, including the home of Sulejman's family, said former neighbor Adem Huric, 38.
    Up to 200,000 people were killed and 1.8 million others lost their homes in Bosnia's 1992-1995 war.

6. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

In the real world, guns will not be banned in this country because the manufacturers have better lobbyists to grease the politicians and keep the Second Amendment unchanged. Like it or not, the money talks.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Banning guns isn't the answer. There are millions upon millions of guns in the hands of private citizens in Canada, and they don't have near the murder rate we do. They do have much stricter gun control laws, but they seem to have figured out how to allow law abiding citizens to keep guns while generally keeping the guns out of the hands of bad people.

8. Garner

Garner Member

See, that's where you're wrong. There aren't any bad people in Canada.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Only because they foisted Celine Dion, Pam Lee and Michael J. Fox off on us. :D

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

SC, if taking those people and more like them will help reduce the murder rate in this country, I think it's a sacrifice we should be willing to make. Who would've thought Canada would be the answer to crime?

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm a Democrat, but I realize that with guns weapons, the genie's out of the bottle. I wonder sometimes whether guns weapons shouldn't be MANDATORY like in Switzerland.

Think about it. That train ride would be the most polite train ride you've ever seen. And two goobers in a disagreement at the bowling alley parking lot would be Darwin in action.

12. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

http://kutv.com/topstories/local_story_045193538.html

Video of the incident from a mall shopper stuck in a store. No shootings on video, thankfully, but lots of gun shots.

Draft saved Draft deleted