1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Six dead in mall shooting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mannheimadler, Feb 13, 2007.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Pretty much my thoughts when I heard about this.

2. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

And then there's this:

http://cbs3.com/topstories/local_story_043213744.html

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Well, the paranoid types might say that if guns were registered it would make it too easy for the government to confiscate them someday and that whenever a totalitarian government takes control, one of the first things it does is take guns away from the people.
    I know it's kind of far-fetched, but...

4. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

I'd still rather trade some security outside the home rather than give up the right to secure my home.

Really, shit happens. Just because some guy blows away people at the mall doesn't mean the government can take my guns away when I haven't done anything wrong. That's oppression.

So, what's next? A guy walks into a mall and starts stabbing people? Whoops. No more steak knives. A guy gets cut off, gets the "road rage" and runs another vehicle into the ditch. Let's ban automobiles, too.

It is terrible, but shit happens.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

So do you have a problem with registering any guns you might own?

6. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

My state does not require registration (only concealed carry permits), so I don't.

7. sportschick

Would you be OK with it if it was required?

I'm not trying to attack you. Just curious.

8. Crimson Tide

Crimson Tide Member

If it was required, yes. I'm not some gun-crazy survivalist, but I embrace my right to defend my home and my family with deadly force.

9. sportschick

Aright. You're like my grandparents. You're not crazy. You can stay. :D

I was always very anti-gun. Then I moved out West and my perspective totally changed.

I still won't own one, but it doesn't bother me that others do. Besides, I have vicious attack cats to protect me.

10. Actually, in the al Qaeda manual that they found in Afghanistan, the easy availability of guns in the US is specfically mentioned.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I don't want to trot out the played-out "if you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns" argument, but really, the only way you can enforce a total ban that also removes guns from the hands of criminals is with a government so large and invasive that even the biggest of the big-government backers would be hesitant.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

There is a difference between having laws and "enforcing" laws to the nth degree. We have laws against drunk driving. Doesn't mean that no one ever drives drunk. Just means that if you do, you could get busted.

Most countries have more stringent laws concerning guns than we do. Not all of them are totalitarian regimes.

Draft saved Draft deleted